PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties with Oxfordshire records and the name Smith!

Merry
10-11-14, 10:53
I am struggling with my Smiths from Burford, Oxfordshire going backwards from the early 1700s. I have the PRs for Burford on fiche and laboriously extracted all the Smith records - about 1,100 of them.

I don't know how to be confident with the records when I can't look at anything from the surrounding parishes without spending mega-bucks on endless CDs or moving to Oxford. Any ideas? Or is it a hopeless case?

I know a lot about my 5xg-grandfather, but can't be sure I have the right baptism for him. If the one I've chosen is right I may be in possession of the will of his great-grandfather, from which I can go back one more generation, making my furthest back ancestor on my tree a Smith, which seems a little ironic!

kiterunner
10-11-14, 12:15
Have you looked at Oxfordshire FHS's Search Service, Merry?

http://searches.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/

Merry
10-11-14, 12:31
No, I hadn't seen that before, Kate. It might well come in useful.

I need to go through everything carefully before I approach them!

Please ask for a quote for popular names.

I should think Smith is a popular name!!!!!!!!

ElizabethHerts
10-11-14, 13:17
Remember to look for transcriptions here, Merry.

http://wills.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/pindex.html?S,S

Asa
10-11-14, 13:31
Sorry, no suggestions but I can sympathise. I think Oxfordshire is one of the hardest or most expensive to do online. Mine are almost all South Oxfordshire so I have no end drifting in and out to Berks and Bucks. But Smith....pfft

Merry
10-11-14, 15:31
Thanks for your encouragement Asa!

Elizabeth, yes I've used that site, but nothing to help me this time as yet.....

Sussex Maid
10-11-14, 21:42
I have a copy of the CD with the Witney Registration District Vol 1 transcripts (Cogges from 1653, Eynsham from 1653, Witney St Mary from 1551 and Witney Quaker from 1667) if that's any help.

Merry
10-11-14, 22:03
Oooh, I have Witney Quakers already, but there are probably a couple (or four or five :o) of specific entries in the C of E Witney records I would be very interested in. Would you mind if I pm you? :):):)

Sussex Maid
10-11-14, 22:23
Please do

Rick
10-11-14, 22:36
I've got the Shipton-under-Wychwood CD too if that helps. Also access to the wills on FMP. Feel free to PM me if of any use.

I'm trying to unravel my Harris family in the area - not quite as bad as Smith, but still a challenge. I wish the CDs were not so expensive as I need Wilcote and Ascott-under-Wychwood too, but I understand OxFHS have now completed digitising their holdings and are deciding how to make them available. Good news if they partner with Ancestry or FMP or more expense if not !!

Merry
11-11-14, 06:01
Thank you Rick, I will take you up on that as Shipton-under-Wychwood is so close to Burford. I have a fmp sub; it was the addition of those Oxon wills that brought me back to this line a few days ago!.

You will be pleased to know that OFHS has a list of Oxfordshire Surnamess in 'popularity' order that I came across yesterday. Smith was first, but Harris was second (yet I don't have one Oxfordshire Harris!).

Most of my Oxfordshire branch are Quakers so I have their records already. When I purchased them (and Burford) CDs had not been invented!

ElizabethHerts
11-11-14, 20:28
Merry, I've also got the Shipton under Wychwood CD. Chipping Norton Reg. District Vol. 2.

Let me know if you need anything. I've got 3 others two - Bicester Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 and Banbury Vol. 1.

Merry
11-11-14, 20:31
Thanks Elizabeth.

Son is at the hospital having his wrist reset after falling in our lounge this evening! So, I'm not totally focussed right now. Will be having another look at it tomorrow.

ElizabethHerts
11-11-14, 20:40
Very understandably your mind is elsewhere, Merry...
I wish him a speedy recovery.

Merry
11-11-14, 20:43
He broke the other wrist a year ago tomorrow. :rolleyes:

ElizabethHerts
11-11-14, 21:02
He broke the other wrist a year ago tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I thought he'd done something similar before, Merry, but it only seems like a couple of months ago! Will he be able to write?

Merry
11-11-14, 21:50
Yes, as this time he broke the left one and he is right handed!

They are right in the middle of controlled assessments for GCSE at the moment. He has two tomorrow, but he won't be going in - they are set to be at the hospital for at least another hour or two and he hasn't eaten yet (nor has OH). They were going to a burger bar, but that's closed now :rolleyes:

ElizabethHerts
12-11-14, 06:50
Not good - a late night at the Montgomery household, then! I think you will have two rather grumpy males returning.

Merry
12-11-14, 08:07
lol Elizabeth!

They got home at 11.45pm. He looked surprisingly OK compared to then he left here!

Son must secretly be growing up a bit, because he actually wants to go to school today as he has these GCSE assessments to do and an interview for the 6th form. Am taking him in at 10am as first lesson is PE so it seems a bit pointless being there for that!

Margaret in Burton
12-11-14, 08:55
OH has Oxfordshire ancestors but Roman Catholic. Mostly from the Chipping Norton area.

OH visited a priest in the area years ago and managed to get some info and it's very patchy.