PDA

View Full Version : Book Announcement

Wallaby
07-11-14, 20:37
Hi Everyone . . . remember me & my Freemans !

Can you ever forgive me for going AWOL for so long! Columbo & I have had such an awful, awful time & it’s not over for us yet. So please don’t think I’ve forgotten any of you - you are the stars of my parents’ story!

Now, you might be pleased to know that I did not abandon the book, in fact, it’s been therapy for me this last year.

Within the next 2 WEEKS, the book entitled ‘THE DADDY OF ALL MYSTERIES” will actually, believe it or not, be AVAILABLE for . . . DISPATCH.

At last, I can fling this laptop off my knee!

After meeting every shark in the publishing industry, (& believe me there are shoals of them circling for first-time authors), I ended up designing my own book cover, doing my own typesetting & I even managed to get a few good reviews, with a few more pending.

I’ve decided to launch a PILOT BOOK first. It is the REAL book - just minus the ISBN, because I will first be testing the water with this pilot launch to measure sales over Christmas. If the response looks promising, I will then go ahead & self-publish with the pilot being available in the meantime.

I will be giving away one signed FREE copy to all members who have helped in the search for Harry. I will also pay the postage for those FREE books. I appreciate every bit of time & effort that you have given to my research.

If you're thinking of Christmas pressies, the book will also be for sale on eBay where you can see the front cover & also read the blurb on the back cover. (Hope this link works) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291288620768

The book, which includes family & members’ contributions, plus pieces I’ve written about members who were too modest to write a contribution, grew to over 360 pages, which became prohibitively expensive to publish & also publishers who at least took the time to reply to my submissions, explained that the Family Memoir book market is saturated at the moment & it’s books about sex and vampiers (or vampiers having sex) that are selling strong.

The Daddy of all Mysteries contains 110,000 words plus over 70 photos! (no sex, although there might be the odd vampier, but vampiers don’t show themselves in mirrors or photographs) Anyway, by learning a few tricks of the publishing trade, I’ve managed to condense the book into 276 pages, to keep the price ticket down to £10.

So if you’re looking for some stocking fillers, please remember . . . The Daddy of all Mysteries. I’m sure FTF & Genealogists' Forum, which are mentioned in the credits, will get plenty of new members from it.

I've missed you all soooo much, but please forgive me for not being active, we are going through a nightmare.

Wallaby XXXXXXXX

Margaret in Burton
07-11-14, 21:14
I was only thinking about you a few days ago. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

GenieDi
07-11-14, 21:35
Gosh well done you, I have just had a look and seriously tempted, I have recently been reading a lot of books with a Liverpool flavour. This looks amazing.

Wallaby
07-11-14, 21:39
I was only thinking about you a few days ago. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Hi Margaret, lovely to here from you. I've missed everyone so much. I've replied via eBay too.

Wal'

Wallaby
07-11-14, 21:41
Gosh well done you, I have just had a look and seriously tempted, I have recently been reading a lot of books with a Liverpool flavour. This looks amazing.

Hi Di,

Thank you, it's certainly been a learning curve & taken about 4 years of my life.
There's plenty of Scouse humour, even amongst the sad parts.

Wal'

Janet
07-11-14, 22:08
Aaaaargh, can I get one over here in the U.S.? :confused:

Wallaby
07-11-14, 22:16

Yes Janet, but postage might be a bit pricey. Let me look at eBay tomorrow & tweak for worldwide delivery. It weighs about 400g & is A5 size.

I'll keep you posted, Janet ;-)

I'll also be working an a trailer, which I'll put on here soon & whoever would like to copy & paste the trailer to promote the book on other websites, please be my guest. This book is just as much about the story of members' effort from small websites such as this.

Wal'

Janet
08-11-14, 03:26
Thank you very much, Wallaby. :)

Kit
08-11-14, 07:02
I posted on FTF too. So excited you are at the publishing stage.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-14, 07:09
I'm so excited, Wallaby! What a brilliant achievement to get this to publication.

JBee
08-11-14, 07:53
Glad you finished the book but sad you've had such a nightmare of a year which isn't over yet. I do hope you can get through it soon.

Merry
08-11-14, 08:22
So sorry to hear that you've been having such a bad time, but massive congratulations in getting the book finished! It's a huge achievement and you should be very proud :):):)

maggie_4_7
08-11-14, 09:29
Well done.

I look forward to reading it.

Wallaby
08-11-14, 12:43
Thanks for your good wishes Everyone! But this book is something for ALL of you to be proud of. I could never have found Harry without your help.

Wal' xxxxx

--------------

Trailer for The Daddy of all Mysteries.

Please tidy it up before posting as the paragraphs have a mind of their own on here.

C+P to whoever & whatever other website you are a member of. I’ll need all the help I can get to promote the book.

Book Launch

The Daddy of all Mysteries: The True Story of my Parents’ Forbidden Love and a 20-year Search for a Father I Never Knew.

By Jess Welsby

Genre: Family Memoir: Local History.

A limited number of this new book will be launched before the end of November as a pilot before the book is published in Spring 2015.

This 276-page true story about a Liverpool family is available to pre-order now on eBay. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291288620768

Snippet from the book . . .

Although I went to a Catholic school, I would sag off whenever I got half a chance, especially if religion was on the agenda. It’s a subject that I’ve never had much interest in, and yet religion plays a big part in this book.
I spent much of my primary school years daydreaming my way through the weekly mundane routines of Saturday afternoon confession, followed by Sunday morning holy communion, which was monitored by my teachers
first thing on Monday. My mum and nan had great faith in God, with hardly a sentence passing their lips without the mention of His holy name, but they couldn’t have cared less about going to Mass, and left me to decide for myself.
Religion wasn’t a subject that my mum talked about, while my nan saw prayer as a private conversation with God, rather than communal. Using her caustic humour to skit what she called, the fashion parade of church-goers who
would sit jangling in the back pew before the body of Christ had barely the chance to pass through their system. Nevertheless, a set of rosary beads could be found in her pocket, accompanied by her hanky and snuffbox.
Conflicting information that made no sense to me and the lack of interest shown at home for any form of communal worship, eventually brought me to the conclusion that, if there was a God, surly it’s not necessary to go through
any third party to speak to him. If you must put me into a pigeonhole, then the closest match should bear the heading ‘humanist’, but please leave the lid of the box open.

Packed full of comical anecdotes that could only happen in Liverpool, this true story will break & warm your heart as the author takes you on a nostalgic journey in search of her mysterious roots.
The family secrets she uncovered made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, when, after a 20-year search, she discovered that those roots appear to have been buried deep within her subconscious all along.
With a website following that acquired close to 300,000 hits in just a few short months - this book is an amazing story of amateur teamwork & is a must-read, not only for anyone in search of their unknown mother or father,
but for everyone whether interested in family history or just a great story.
Following the lives of her small, Catholic family through the Great War, the Great Depression & the Second World War, this book pays homage to. . .

“. . . a generation who were given little support from the country that they fought for and were often forced to rely on charity in the form of the workhouse . . .”

“. . . It’s a story about bigotry, tenacity and above all, hope; and all the struggles, fears, laughter and tears of a generation now dead and gone . . .”

With help from strangers, the truth eventually unfolds from an unmarked grave in a London, Jewish cemetery, revealing the father who was nothing more than an ink blob on her birth certificate & who had been cloaked in a veil of mystery for almost sixty years . . . The DADDY of ALL MYSTERIES

Written in honour of my parents & grandparents.

HarrysMum
08-11-14, 19:49
I am so pleased you have got this far. Well done. I remember your very first post.....it was the Wallaby name. I thought you might be Aussie when I saw it.
As soon as you work out a postage to Australia, I'll be buying the book as well.
Congratulations.

marquette
08-11-14, 19:55
I am so pleased you have got this far. Well done. I remember your very first post.....it was the Wallaby name. I thought you might be Aussie when I saw it.
As soon as you work out a postage to Australia, I'll be buying the book as well.
Congratulations.

Me, too.

I read many of the posts and was not able to help but was fascinated by the amount of information uncovered. It would great to read it all in one place

Di

Olde Crone
08-11-14, 22:34
Lol, I very well remember your first post because I was the first to reply and I said you didn't stand much chance of finding anything with so little information.

I've got indigestion from eating so much humble pie!

(It turned out you had a lot more information than you thought you had. This has to rank as one of the most exciting searches I've ever witnessed. I still fill up when I remember you posting the photo of your father.)

OC

Tilly Mint
09-11-14, 09:10
Lol, I very well remember your first post because I was the first to reply and I said you didn't stand much chance of finding anything with so little information.

(It turned out you had a lot more information than you thought you had. This has to rank as one of the most exciting searches I've ever witnessed. I still fill up when I remember you posting the photo of your father.)

OC

Oh how we all cried, OC......and that twinkle in Harry's eyes....wow.

We got there and who'd of thought back then about the brilliant outcomes.....and the book launch!!!

Getting lots of PMs.....lots of interest!

Margaret in Burton
09-11-14, 12:58

OC

I well remember Wal's first post too. I think most agreed that she would be lucky to prove anything. I think we all ate humble pie as well as patting ourselves on the back for such a brilliant joint effort. I've just been telling hubby about the garden gnome. Told him that Wal wants to post a copy of the book through the garden gnome's gob!

Olde Crone
09-11-14, 13:01
It would be rough justice if someone gave the garden gnome a copy of the book and she wondered why on earth she wasn't mentioned, haha!

OC

Tilly Mint
09-11-14, 13:13
Don't live to far from garden gnome......I could post one... when it's dark............then leg it...she would frighten the life out of me lol

Then again, she doesn't deserve to see such a fantastic book!!

Mary from Italy
09-11-14, 16:44
That's brilliant news, Wal, but I'm sorry you're going through such a bad time.

Wallaby
10-11-14, 11:09

I've been to our local post office & talked to a human because I wanted to make sure the expensive postage costs on Royal Mail's website for the book were correct & I'm afraid they are. The Worldwide postage cost for a tracked/signed small parcel of 450grams A5 is more than the cost of the book - £12.45!

I've put the option on eBay.

Also, although eBay don't have the 'look inside' facility that Amazon Books have, eBay does allow me to upload 12 photos, so I've been able to upload the preface, introduction & the 1st chapter. So you can read up to the 1st of 30 chapters on eBay by clicking on the photo, zoom & hover.

Wal'

Margaret in Burton
10-11-14, 11:23
Wallaby, have you looked into a courier service?

Janet
10-11-14, 15:33
I really appreciate your efforts, Wallaby. I'm looking at all my options. I might be able to have it shipped to my girlfriend's sister in Essex so my friend can bring it back for me next time she visits. If all else fails I'll scrape together all my pennies and pay the postage. There's only one option excluded: I'm not missing this book!

Skippy
10-11-14, 15:53
I wondered what had happened regarding your book. I was looking for something just the other day on your old Hospital Records posts :-)

Kit
12-11-14, 07:29
With 12 threads that must have taken some time Skippy. :d

marquette
12-11-14, 09:24
I have just read all the pages on ebay - I just want to read the rest of it, I dont care how much it costs !!

Seriously, it probably won't cost much more than a good coffee table book, but so much more interesting to me.

I just need to top up my paypal account before I order - last time I ordered something first, we had no end of problems !

Edited to say I have ordered now, it will be my Christmas present to myself. But I think I might have to read it first, then put it under the tree.

Di
(in Sydney Australia)

JessBow
14-11-14, 08:30
Shall be ordering a copy- it was a fascinating journey
Well done for seeing it through

maggie_4_7
15-11-14, 16:33
I have ordered the book, only one copy though, I am so looking forward to reading it.

What about a 'E' book not sure if you've mentioned that but I want to buy a few of those :)

Janet
24-11-14, 00:09
Edited to say I have ordered now, it will be my Christmas present to myself. But I think I might have to read it first, then put it under the tree.

I was thinking something very similar, Di! :d

So I've just ordered too, and I can't wait! :)

Margaret in Burton
25-11-14, 09:44
My book has just arrived. Can't wait to read it.

Margaret in Burton
25-11-14, 16:33
Well, I can't put it down. I've just read the part about the garden gnome. :D:D

maggie_4_7
25-11-14, 17:27
The book arrived today .

Olde Crone
25-11-14, 17:39
My book arrived at lunchtime today and I've been sat on the sofa reading it ever since!

OC

Margaret in Burton
25-11-14, 18:21
I'm on chapter 25. Just can't put this book down.

annswabey
25-11-14, 18:46
I was supposed to be working this afternoon but just can't resist picking it up and reading a bit more! I've just read the garden gnome bit too, Marg

Mary from Italy
25-11-14, 19:47
I remember that from the original thread :)

Margaret in Burton
25-11-14, 19:51
[COLOR="Blue"]I've just finished it. Couldn't put it down. Done b*gger all else all day. Highly recommended.

Brilliant.[/COLOUR

Olde Crone
25-11-14, 22:06
Me too, nearly gone cross-eyed!

OC

Kit
26-11-14, 06:13
How exciting you have all read it. I'm still in disbelief that first post lead to a book.

Rosie Knees
26-11-14, 13:06
Well done on the book Wallaby :D

I think I dipped in and out of the threads but couldn't keep up so stopped looking.

However, John has just bought my copy for me from ebay and Father Christmas will have it till Christmas :)

Really looking forward to reading it!

Janet in Yorkshire
26-11-14, 16:56
Found mine waiting on the doormat when I came home yesterday. Started mid evening............. and then I just had to finish, so it was this morning by the time I'd got to the end. Early night called for tonight!
I loved it; it was compulsive reading and well done to Wallaby. Spread the word, everyone!

Jay

Durham Lady
27-11-14, 12:02
My book has just arrived, ordered 2 days ago, great service as I was told between 1st & 3rd December. Can't wait to start reading it. Hope my OH doesn't expect food and clean clothes any time soon :d

ElizabethHerts
27-11-14, 12:05
Ditto, Daphne, mine arrived this morning too. I have read two chapters and the sweary stuff might get neglected until I finish it.

Rosie Knees
30-11-14, 09:42
My copy was delivered quickly, according to Himself who has taken it away to be wrapped by Father Christmas :-)

marquette
01-12-14, 10:54
Just wanted to let you know that my copy arrived today, all the way to Sydney Australia. I have started reading it, but I cannot make my eyes stay awake any longer, so I will have to put it down for tonight. Santa can wrap it and put it under the tree later and I can read it again when I am on holidays.

Diane

maggie_4_7
01-12-14, 13:35
Wonderful book going to buy a few for Christmas presents and guess what I don't usually buy Christmas presents! :)

Joan of Archives
12-12-14, 16:09
I got my copy today, opened the book & it fell on the very page where Wallaby writes about me :D I can't believe it, lol :D I cannot wait to read it, hubby is going to hide it from me until Christmas though ;) I must just say Wallaby I am so thankful for the copy, it is wonderful that you have gone to so much trouble to get it published & everything & I can't wait to start reading it Christmas afternoon!! Thank you!! :d xx

Mary from Italy
12-12-14, 16:21
I've finally found time to start reading my copy, and it's brilliant! Wallaby really writes beautifully.

Janet
13-12-14, 04:49
I should say my copy turned up in jig time and in very good shape, having come all the way across the pond. It has now somehow mysteriously turned up in the hands of my OH who's just lucky I'm not finished with my last book yet. Can't wait to read it!

BlueSavannah
13-12-14, 10:18
I don't know any of the story and haven't seen any of the threads so going on all the reviews I've just purchased this as a Christmas present for me from my toddlers :)

I know I am a little late in ordering so I won't be suprised if it doesn't get to me before Christmas. Just looking forward to reading it when it does arrive :)

Breckland Jane
14-12-14, 17:14
Ordered a copy yesterday - due to arrive between 18th and 22nd. Can't wait to read it.

Jane

Anstey Nomad
15-12-14, 17:38
Ordered!

Congratulations Wallaby!

BlueSavannah
16-12-14, 13:54
Wonderful service Wallaby, its arrived today :)

Kit
17-12-14, 10:19
I got mine yesterday, I was away or would have had it earlier. I started tearing up on the first page. It's going to be a long read. :)

maggie_4_7
17-12-14, 17:53
I got mine yesterday, I was away or would have had it earlier. I started tearing up on the first page. It's going to be a long read. :)

:D

Have you surfaced yet?

Kit
18-12-14, 04:26
Yes I have. I took it in the bath last night and then read in bed until I was falling asleep.

I'm loving it and knowing the story is not spoiling it at all.

Jill
18-12-14, 15:50
I've had mine a little while and am saving it for after my minor op in the New Year when I shall be a lady of leisure for a few days, nless I change my mind of course and can't resist starting!

KiwiChris
23-12-14, 05:29
Yay, mine arrived today, just in time for the Christmas long weekend!!

Anstey Nomad
23-12-14, 16:53
Ordered Monday, received Thursday, read by Saturday.

A remarkable story and a singular achieve to to write it all down and get it published.

Congratulations!

Uncle John
01-01-15, 20:52
I've only just looked in on this thread. I remember the fascination of the unfolding (unravelling?) mystery and the quirks of the folk who gradually joined the cast of characters. And now I've read Chapter 1 of the book on Ebay and am on the point of taking the plunge.

Well done to Wallaby for getting this far and well done to all of Santa's little helpers for making it possible.

Wallaby
04-01-15, 18:29
Just popped in to tell you that book sales for this pilot trial-run have been very encouraging & I was invited to do a reading at the Irish Centre in Liverpool, which has a massive book club & I'm also going to be talking on 'Jewish Hour' radio between 7-8pm on Monday 12th January here is the link to the station http://www.jewishhour.co.uk/#!listen/cee5

Then, I'm talking at;
MANCHESTER REGIONAL GROUP OF THE JEWISH GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY OF GB
Sunday, 18th January 2015 at 2.00pm
Venue: Meade Hill Road Shul, off Middleton Road, Manchester M8

I don't think I can read the first line of chapter one aloud at Shul ;-)

This website along with other websites is mentioned in the credits of the book & many members who took part in my search for Harry are either mentioned in the credit or their actual posts are used in the book.

I'm gathering some lovely reviews, which will be added to the published book which will be out by the end on this month. I've made a thread for the reviews on the other website ;-)

May I wish everyone a great New Year.

Wal'

Janet in Yorkshire
06-03-15, 09:08
An article about Wallaby's book

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...erpool-8777534

Jay

kiterunner
06-03-15, 10:19
Your link isn't working for me, Janet.

Janet
06-03-15, 11:59
Try this.

Kept apart by bigotry and fear: a Liverpool woman's search to find her father (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/real-lives/kept-apart-bigotry-fear-liverpool-8777534)

I copied the text from the link in Jay's post and took just the number at the end. Then I Googled:

8777534 site:liverpoolecho.co.uk

Did the new link work for you? I'm in, and the sight of her mum and dad's photos is giving me goosebumps. (I had to answer a couple of harmless advertising questions first.)

Merry
06-03-15, 12:04
I'm still trying to buy a copy of this book, but every time I look on eBay the listing has ended (I think I've missed five listings!). Does anyone know how I can get a copy?

Janet in Yorkshire
06-03-15, 12:08
Merry, I think it is being sold via Amazon now - books, "The Daddy of all mysteries."

Thanks for sorting out the link, Janet.

Jay

Janet
06-03-15, 12:28
My pleasure. :)

Merry
06-03-15, 13:29
Thanks Jay.

Mary from Italy
06-03-15, 16:06
What a lovely article.

And I didn't have to answer any advertising questions (presumably because I have adblocker).

Janet
09-03-15, 00:17
Oh no! Now I want a second copy, and Amazon.co.uk won't send it to the United States. ;( My Amazon.com recognizes the title but says it is unavailable. What to do?! Wallaby, are you out there?

JBee
09-03-15, 11:57
I'm going to the US on 25th if you want to order one for me to post on.

Janet
09-03-15, 17:19
That's a wonderful offer, Julie. I'll definitely keep it in mind if nothing else pans out. Thank you!

EDIT:
I left a PM for Wallaby on the other site, so if I don't hear back soon from her I'll PM you my email address, or you could just PM me your mailing address on here if you want. Thank you, thank you!

Janet
03-04-15, 03:10
Mission accomplished, a million thanks to Julie! My cousin received my gift of Wallaby's book on Monday. Today (Thursday) I get the email: "I read the book yesterday. Very interesting." I answered her that she surprised even me, as I figured it would take her two days flat to read. :d

So thanks again to Julie, thanks also to Wallaby for a quick dispatch and the personal inscription, not to mention for writing a wonderful book. And thanks to all you characters who helped with the spade work and have given me such a sense of personal connection with this great story.