PDA

View Full Version : Lost marriage(s) 1780 - 1790

JayG
28-11-09, 10:25
Looking for the marriage or marriages of George Oat(e)s.

Mary bapt 1785 at Hamsterley, Co Durham, parents George & Sarah

John bapt 1790 at Hamsterley, Co Durham, parents George & Ann

TBC but I think George died 1840 aged 77 & Ann died 1837 aged 76.

Not sure if there is an error in the parish register but I have seen both of the baptisms in the BT's. Can't see a burial of a Sarah Oat(e)s pre 1790 either.

Thanks

Nell
28-11-09, 15:47
Could be an error, or maybe there were two George Oates? Possibly Sarah was buried elsewhere?

garstonite
29-11-09, 10:00
Hiya Jay.......as you know my surname is OAKES....it might be worth checking OAKES for OATES as they do get mixed up quite often....allan;)

JayG
29-11-09, 12:44
Hi Nell

I'm hoping it an error, but the lack of the marriage or marriages doesn't help to confirm this. I've checked the BT's for surrounding parishes but haven't found a burial of a Sarah, or any other Oat(e)s'. Can't see another George either but the George & Ann are buried in the same village Mary (1785) was married & lived. I'm going to order his death (1840) & hope she has registered it, at least I can confirm one parent if nothing else.

Hi Allan

I've looked for Oates, Oats & even Coates, but Oakes isn't a name i've checked so I see if that helps with searching.

Thanks both

JayG
21-08-10, 17:29
Just to update this I did get George's death cert for 1840 & it's the right one as his grand daughter registered it (my 3 x great grandmother).

I'm still no further forward finding a/the marriage(s).

kiterunner
21-08-10, 18:04
If you've only seen the baptisms in the BT's, wouldn't it be worth checking in the actual parish register? It might say Ann for the mother instead of Sarah in the PR's.

JayG
22-08-10, 11:31
It's on my list of things to do Kite.

JayG
13-09-12, 20:09
Two years later & i've finally got round to checking the PR! It, like the BT does have Sarah listed as the mother.

I've also found another two children of George & Ann baptised in the next parish in 1794 & 1796.

I think Sarah in the register must be an error & that George married an Ann, tho I still can't find a possible marriage. Sarah doesn't appear in this family line tho George did have a sister named Sarah.