PDA

View Full Version : WW2 service records

JayG
25-10-14, 09:37
Has anyone applied recently?

I've sent off for a great aunt's WAAF record and a great uncle's Army record, wondering how long of a wait i'll have.

JBee
25-10-14, 10:03
With the anniversary of WW1 I think a lot more people are getting their ancestors records so it will be taking a lot longer to obtain.

I did think (whether I'm right I don't know) you could be looking at 18 months for an Army record.

Margaret in Burton
25-10-14, 10:26
Took 13 months to get my father in laws. That was a couple of years ago.

Sue from Southend
25-10-14, 13:11
We're still trying to convince my father to send for his WW2 Army records as I believe that living veterans get a quicker service but he says he doesn't need the records as "he knows what happened"!

He doesn't seem to understand that the official records have an interest to us.

I guess I have to make some allowances - he is 94 after all.....

JayG
25-10-14, 13:53
Looks like I might have abit of a wait then. I applied for my grandad's in 2008 and got them about 6 weeks later.

Veterans do get a quicker service and also their records for free Sue, hopefully someone in the family will be able to convince your dad to get his.

Guinevere
25-10-14, 14:39
I had to wait 8 months for Dad's.

Margaret in Burton
25-10-14, 15:26
We're still trying to convince my father to send for his WW2 Army records as I believe that living veterans get a quicker service but he says he doesn't need the records as "he knows what happened"!

He doesn't seem to understand that the official records have an interest to us.

I guess I have to make some allowances - he is 94 after all.....

We had the same problem with my father in law. "I know what I did, I don't need to see them"!
He flatly refused. Made us wonder if there was something he didn't want us to see. He passed away in 2010 and we sent for the a while after that. Nothing dodgy in there at all. It is free for the person themselves or for the spouse.
We also asked OH's uncles wife if she would let us send for her husbands as they would be free to her. She refused, saying she had no interest in them. They were married before the war. She didn't understand that we wanted them for the family history.

Merry
25-10-14, 16:41
I didn't know applications were supposed to be dealt with more quickly if the veteran applied themselves. OH helped his father apply and we waited patiently for 13 months. OH eventually contacted them to ask what was happening and said if we had to wait much longer his father might not get to see them. They then arrived in a couple of weeks! This was about five years ago. When I applied for my father's record I received it virtually by return of post!

JayG
24-11-14, 21:40
I received my great aunt's WAAF records (2 A3 pages) on Friday.

A few days before I received a letter from the MOD giving a 3 to 6 months wait.

JayG
28-11-14, 18:07
Just got home and my great uncle's papers are here!

Very impressed with the speed I have received these from the RAF and MOD.

maggie_4_7
28-11-14, 19:02
Oh good well done.

xx