PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Heston, Middlesex?

WendyPusey
25-10-14, 09:33
I'm trying to find Marshall's Cottage, Heston. This is where my GG grandfather lived in 1871 and 1881. My mother was born in 8 Marshall's Cottage in 1914.

I want to know if they are both in the same place.

I have seen some trees where they have the name Wellington Road/Lane added after the cottage, and am wondering if the ones I'm looking for are near to this road.

I don't have any subs at the moment so can't look at any census myself.

kiterunner
25-10-14, 10:20
There are a few similar addresses on the 1881 census, Wendy; these are the surnames at each:

1881 census Heston, Middlesex

Marshalls Cottages, Wellington Lane West:
1: Gunter
2: Martin
3: Cox
4: Bowler
5: Gardener

Marshalls Cott:
1: Mash(?)
2: Williams
3: Collins
4: Little
5: Timberlick
6: Pizzey

Marshall's Cottage: Powell, Ginn, Thomas.

I tried looking at street directories on the Historical Directories website but couldn't find anything so I will try on ancestry.

WendyPusey
25-10-14, 10:23
George Powell is mine. I suspect this is probably not the same as the Wellington Lane ones.

kiterunner
25-10-14, 10:48
On the 1911 census there is
Marshalls Cotts, Fern Lane:
1: Curtis
2: uninhabited.

Still looking in directories...

kiterunner
25-10-14, 11:05
George Powell is mine. I suspect this is probably not the same as the Wellington Lane ones.

Okay, so the Marshall's Cottage where the Powells are in 1881 is in District 13; this is the description of enumeration district:
Part of Heston Parish, St Leonards Commencing at the entrance into Heston at Doubledays Brickfield along both sides and including all old Heston Fern Lane North??? Lane West of Fern Cranford and Spirt Lane's.

1-6 Marshalls Cott are also in District 13 but a few pages further on than the Powells at Marshall's Cottage.

The Wellington Lane ones are in District 15:
Part of the Parish of Heston St Pauls, except Bath Road East of Sutton Lane. The Bath Road both side beginning at the Bank Lampton Lane, to but not including Grahams Farm and Lodge. A house at Sherbourn Farm and Lodge. A house at Sherbourn Farm Higgs House. Cottages behind Travellers Friend. Vickerage Farm, an old Farm Yard in Scotchmans Lane, Elm Cottages Wellington Lane West side with Belgrave Road.
Holy Trinity
Wellington Lane East side with Osborn Road and all Houses in the Freehold Societys Estate. Park Lodge. The Poplars. The Elms and house in Frogleys Farm Yard.

WendyPusey
25-10-14, 11:17
Thank you Kite. Looks possible that they were in the same area.

Will have to have another look to see if I can find a map of Heston c1914 and see what info that will hold.

Merry
25-10-14, 11:28
Wendy, you should be able to find something on the Old Maps site:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

You'll need to choose a 1:2500 scale.