PDA

View Full Version : John Steel

Kit
16-10-14, 00:00
My 6g grandfather John Steel was a cordwainer on his marriage to Phoebe Killerby on 4/7/1770 in Bradford Yorkshire.

John and Phoebe had 9 children and when an occupation was mentioned on the baptism his occupation was unchanged. The last child, George, was baptised in 1791. They were all baptised in Bradford.

There is a burial for Phebe in 1794, wife of John Steel, of Bradford, Standishmaker.

There is also a burial for John Steel, of Bradford, Standishmaker in 1796.

How likely is it that John would change his occupation after 21 years? A standishmaker is a pen and ink stand maker.

There is another possible death for John in 1792 but no other deaths for Phoebe, although it is possible she remarried or the online records are not complete.

kiterunner
16-10-14, 09:37
It sounds unlikely but I can't see another couple with those names so I guess it is him.

Kit
16-10-14, 10:52
Thanks Kate. I'm uneasy about it but will pencil it in with notes.

Shona
16-10-14, 13:44
I suppose if cordwainers made their own shoe 'lasts' from wood, it's not such a huge leap to turn or carve a pen and ink stand in wood.

Kit
17-10-14, 00:33
True Shona. He may also have done both the whole time but only the shoes were recorded. He probably wasn't thinking of me when he recorded his occupation. :)