PDA

View Full Version : I'm missing the "Take Two/One x-great-grandparents" threads

ElizabethHerts
12-10-14, 18:15
I know we have been concentrating, quite rightly, on the Great War veterans, but as that will soon be exhausted, are there any plans afoot for what happens next?

These threads keep the board alive with research problems. I notice it has been rather quiet recently.

marquette
13-10-14, 06:46
Me, too Elizabeth

I have taken my ancestors back as far as I can go without being able to visit places in England myself. I need something to keep me interested, as all am doing at the moment is fiddling at the edges.

I like helping others too, I will trawl through the digitised newspapers and obsure online databases if needed.

Di

tenterfieldjulie
13-10-14, 09:16
I've found that there are a number of 4xggp threads that I missed posting. I am checking them now.
I do have a number of new finds from my visit to UK .. thanks to Glen, Liza etc..
I am of course getting my priorities right .. my suitcase is still only partially unpacked oops after 2 months at home lol

Guinevere
13-10-14, 18:23
Any ideas? We have our thinking caps on in Mods' Corner.

ElizabethHerts
13-10-14, 18:54
It's tricky because I know if we go back further than 5x-great-grandparents it would exclude a lot of people, although I would welcome it. So we have to try to include as many site members as possible.

I suppose we could invite people to challenge their brick walls, but we already do that to some degree on the research board.

We need to say what we would like as individuals and see if there is any consensus at all.

Phoenix
13-10-14, 20:17
Would it be too complicated for the mods if we did take 6th, but with two boards - father's and mother's? Counter-intuitively, I have very few paternal lines that far back, but lots of maternal lines.

It could then run for the same period as take 5th did.

Olde Crone
13-10-14, 22:36
...or would it be possible to open the closed threads, lol - I missed a huge chunk of 2 x, 3 x etc and it would be nice to have another chance.

Also, new members would get the opportunity as well. As most of the current members have had a go, it would only be a few more threads and it wouldn't matter that they were out of sync now.

OC

Mary from Italy
13-10-14, 22:59
Yes, that's a good idea.

Another suggestion, when we've gone as far as practicable with the Take one... threads, might be to focus on one county every week, maybe with one section to post useful links for that county, and another one for posting brick walls relating to that county.

tenterfieldjulie
14-10-14, 08:52
I'd definitely like a go at the 4 & 5 ggpts threads again that I missed.

Margaret in Burton
14-10-14, 09:53
I don't think I missed any, unless I've discovered a name after the thread was closed, I'd have to check. I would like a go at 6x though.

Nell
18-10-14, 19:50
I'd like a go at the threads I missed - plus I think I may well have found out more now to add.

I like the idea of counties.

BlueSavannah
23-10-14, 19:52
I do like the idea of opening up the older threads for new information etc. Also, I missed a lot of the x5 with having 2 children in 2 years :eek::eek: so would like to add any of mine.

Olde Crone
23-10-14, 22:02
In fact....is there still any reason to have these threads locked off?

OC

Margaret in Burton
23-10-14, 22:28
You have a good point there OC. It just stops newer members from adding theirs.

Phoenix
23-10-14, 22:54
It may be so the admin can tag things? I have some first cousin marriages, so caused grief by combining two entries as mmmmmmmm and mmmmmfmm (I think) are one and the same person.