PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Forces Medical Records

Sue from Southend
09-10-14, 12:44
According to an article in today's paper the first 30,000 of 1.5 million forces medical records have been digitised and are available here http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/
My few WW1 soldiers don't appear so I can't comment on quality but it may be one to keep an eye on. One months sub costs £8.95

kiterunner
09-10-14, 13:01
If anyone is taking out a sub, please be aware that your sub may be automatically renewed if you don't make sure to turn off automatic renewals. Also please note that last year the Advertising Standards Authority upheld a complaint against Forces Reunited, trading as Forces War Records; see this link for details:
http://asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2013/2/Forces-Reunited-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_211686.aspx

The Daily Mail article says that FWR expect it to take another two years to complete the index.

Sue from Southend
09-10-14, 13:08
Thanks for that Kate, I didn't investigate the site (obviously)

They do seem to have quite a wide range of military records but not sure what's replicated elsewhere. I wonder why TNA chose to use this site for the medical records rather than their usual partners?

Shona
09-10-14, 13:24
None of the men in my family who served and were wounded are included, but the records which have been transcribed so far are limited in scope as they are from the 51st Field Ambulance unit which was one of three attached to the 17th Division - the other two were the 52nd and 53rd. Here are the battalions where were part of the 17th Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/17div.htm

From FWR blurb:

'War Office: First World War Representative Medical Records of Servicemen' is a collection of records of soldiers' admission to, or discharge from, hospital in the First World War.

After the war most medical and hospital records were destroyed. The rest were given by the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) to the Ministry Of Health. Just a representative selection (no more that two per cent of the total) remain, housed at the National Archives, where they are coded MH106.

WendyPusey
09-10-14, 14:10
Are they just for wounded soldiers or would there be info on those who were killed in action from their wounds?

Langley Vale Sue
09-10-14, 14:39
My husband's grandfather is on there and he was killed in action in 1918. I haven't subscribed so can't see what details the records contain though.

Tilly Mint
09-10-14, 20:09
Thanks, Sue.

My Ansboro family from India are there, I haven't subscribed either but I'm itching to know the info....

Tilly Mint
09-10-14, 20:13
Are they just for wounded soldiers or would there be info on those who were killed in action from their wounds?

Wendy, my great grandfather is there and he didn't die but his son is and he was killed in action.

Sue from Southend
09-10-14, 20:27
I gathered from the newspaper article that all sorts of medical conditions are recorded - from piles and wasp stings to fatal wounds. So, even if your ancestor was killed in action it's possible that a previous injury or ailment may be recorded.