PDA

View Full Version : Rootsireland

ElizabethHerts
08-10-14, 07:23
I had an e-mail this morning informing me that www.rootsireland.ie is changing to a subscription site:

"The Irish Family History Foundation is pleased to announce that the rootsireland.ie website has become a Subscription based service, giving users access to search an index of over 20 million Irish records and to view the details of the records. (Subject to our terms and conditions). While we do not have all Irish records on our site we add new records at regular intervals. Please check our online sources lists to see what we have currently available.

There are 3 types of Subscription available: 1 month, 6 months or 12 months. You can avail of a Single Payment Subscription or Continuous Membership.

If you already have a Pay Per View account with existing credits remaining that you purchased in the last 12 months under our previous service of Pay Per View credits (and our previous terms and conditions) you can continue to use them to search and view records on the site until they are used up. However, the Pay Per View service is being closed down and no further purchases of credits can be made commencing 24th September, 2014. "

It also told me I have 75 credits left, which is total news to me!

kiterunner
08-10-14, 08:04
It also told me I have 75 credits left, which is total news to me!
Elizabeth, are you sure this wasn't just their example of how it would work if you did have 75 credits? Only 75 credits is one of the examples on their Subscription FAQ page:
http://rootsireland.ie/ifhf/subscription-faq.php

Subscription prices:
1 month - £20
6 months - £98
12 months - £177.

If you do have some credits left, you can use them towards the cost of a sub.

The 1 month sub would be worth it if you have quite a few records that you want to view. I would have thought that the 6 month and 12 month subs would only be used by professional genealogists, but the terms and conditions say that is not allowed.

ElizabethHerts
08-10-14, 08:16
You're right, Kate. I only skimmed the bottom of the e-mail quickly without my glasses!