PDA

View Full Version : Lost on A2A

Lindsay
03-10-14, 19:25
I'm sure I found Andrew Limehouse mentioned in the Leicester Sessions Rolls for Epiphany 1798 in the A2A catalogue a couple of years ago.

The reference I have is QS.3/334 Sessions Roll for Epiphany 1798, but looking now I can't find it - in fact I can't find any mention of Andrew Limehouse in A2A at all, or the Leicester Sessions Rolls.

Can anyone else spot them? I'm beginning to think I'm losing the plot!

Phoenix
03-10-14, 20:25
It may be - though I haven't spotted any mention - that Leicester are migrating their records back. Certainly some record office decided they didn't like A2A.

JayG
03-10-14, 20:31
QS3/334 is listed on here but doesn't have any description for it,

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=056-qs_1&cid=1-3-334#1-3-334

JayG
03-10-14, 20:35
Here it in on LRO catalouge, with description, including Andrew Limehouse!

http://record-office-catalogue.leics.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=QS%2f3%2f334

Olde Crone
03-10-14, 22:01
I used to love A2A but I found when it moved to TNA that it was virtually useless and you couldn't work out whether the document was any use to you without buying it. A2A had very full descriptions of the document, TNA did not.

OC

Lindsay
04-10-14, 10:06
Jay, thank you so much for that!

I also used to like A2A, and found all sorts over the years. I read somewhere that nothing else was being added to it as they'd run out of money, but I didn't realise it was unpopular with some record offices.

Phoenix
04-10-14, 10:56
Indexes are often designed from scratch by individuals who have their own ideas about how they should be set out and what is important. When another organisation wishes to consolidate several indexes, they will have different ideas. Some fields will be lost (OC's very pertinent point) others may not have existed in the first place, dates might be text or numbers. And how would you record "the Sunday after the feast of St John the Baptist in the third year of the reign of Henry 6th"?

I know that London Metropolitan Archives refused to take part in the scheme in the first place because it would involve so much extra work.

Phoenix
04-10-14, 10:58
btw Jay, how did you search for that record? I failed miserably when searching the Leicester RO website.

Can you search it, or do you have to know what you are looking for in order to find it?

JayG
04-10-14, 11:58
btw Jay, how did you search for that record? I failed miserably when searching the Leicester RO website.

Can you search it, or do you have to know what you are looking for in order to find it?

I searched the catalogue for QS3 then drilled it down from there to find QS3/334. I did first search for Limehouse on the quick catalogue search but didn't get the 1798 QS3 result. I've just done an advanced search on Limehouse and that is now listed so I guess the advanced search is the way to go!

http://record-office-catalogue.leics.gov.uk/DServe/