PDA

View Full Version : Probate index for people dying in or after 1996

ElizabethHerts
03-10-14, 07:24
There is now a searchable probate index for people dying in or after 1996:

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

ElizabethHerts
03-10-14, 07:28
Ooh, I'm already having fun with this. I'd like to order some of them, but at £10 a time I shall have to be very selective.

Phoenix
03-10-14, 07:42
Best of all, you are getting date of death for people dying post 2006 (or whenever the online indexes reach)

kiterunner
03-10-14, 08:28
Thanks for this, Elizabeth. I wonder whether they are going to add previous years to it.

Lynn the Forest Fan
03-10-14, 08:29
This is good, I have found the record of Mum's cousin's husband from January this year, I was hoping to find one for the cousin, as I am not sure if she is alive or not.

kiterunner
03-10-14, 08:37
Hmm, interesting to see that it says "any person in the UK". So does it include Scotland? I find it hard to believe, as I have done a test search for the surname McDonald dying in 1999 and it came back with 11 pages of results but none with a Scottish place of registry.
Edit - I don't think it includes Northern Ireland either.

maggie_4_7
03-10-14, 18:57
Blimey I like this.

JayG
03-10-14, 19:33
Thanks for this, Elizabeth. I wonder whether they are going to add previous years to it.

Kate there's some info here http://www.ffhs.org.uk/news/news120510.php and yes, further years are to be released!

Hopefully the earlier years will have more info and you will be able to search better.

It's good to see you can order copies online, like you can for the soliders' wills, tho now they cost £10 it puts me off getting some of the intersting none direct line people.

Tilly Mint
05-10-14, 14:28
Thanks, Elizabeth.....quite a few of mine on there....I need to prioritise which ones to get first. A great link!

kiterunner
26-11-14, 10:30
I've just seen on the British Genes blog that all post-1858 wills and admons are going to be included in this search facility as from the 12th Dec and we will be able to order copies online and download them instead of sending off for them in the post. The cost is still going to be £10 per will.
But the London Probate Service will no longer be providing facilities to search and order wills as they expect everyone to use the new online service. Not such good news for people who use that.

JayG
26-11-14, 10:47
I hope the search/results are going to be improved before the whole index is made available.

ElizabethHerts
26-11-14, 10:47
Thanks for the information, Kate.
The downside is that I could be tempted to spend a lot of money....

kiterunner
26-11-14, 12:54
I hope the search/results are going to be improved before the whole index is made available.

According to the British Genes blog, they won't be. :( Though of course the National Probate Calendar is available on ancestry, but only up to 1966.