PDA

View Full Version : Silly medal card question

Phoenix
28-09-14, 10:40
If you were an army captain in WW1, would you have a medal card?

Shona
28-09-14, 10:55
There should be a medal record card for 'most' officers according to the National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

Phoenix
28-09-14, 12:06
Whew!

I was chatting yesterday to a lady who had had a relative's medals stolen. She was so pleased to know that she could check the details for herself, then she mentioned he was a captain & I suddenly had that sinking feeling....

JBee
28-09-14, 15:30
Wonder if he's on the Army List and what info may be in there.

I know Birmingham Central Library had them on the shelves in the reference section.

annswabey
28-09-14, 16:21
Yes, if he was a Captain he'll be in the Army Lists but it will only really give his regiment, date of commission, rank, and date of promotions

Joy Dean
28-09-14, 20:27
If you were an army captain in WW1, would you have a medal card?

I thought that all who served in the army had a medal card.

annswabey
28-09-14, 20:54
Officers only had a Medal card, Joy, if they claimed the Medals.

For "other ranks", they had to have served overseas to have the "standard" British and Victory Medals, and therefore a Medal card. Possible, though, for them not to have served overseas and have a Medal card for the Silver War Badge, for example

Joy Dean
28-09-14, 21:16
Officers only had a Medal card, Joy, if they claimed the Medals.

For "other ranks", they had to have served overseas to have the "standard" British and Victory Medals, and therefore a Medal card. Possible, though, for them not to have served overseas and have a Medal card for the Silver War Badge, for example

Thank you.:)

Phoenix
29-09-14, 07:39
I am told my grandfather ran PT classes. His record survives, but as he never served in a theatre of war, he has no medal card.