PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper query

ElizabethHerts
25-09-14, 11:41
I have always been able to find lots of hits for my 2x-great-grandfather, John Quintrell.

I have a newspaper article about his death - 11th April 1906 at Southsea. I forgot to put the publication details in the sources, so I've been searching for it, but nothing comes up.

I have also noted no Hampshire publications coming up for the name Quintrell for some years.

Can anyone find it and have they withdrawn some of the newspapers.
It's not on FMP nor on British Newspaper Archive.

kiterunner
25-09-14, 12:17
Could these results from the British Newspaper Archive search be the right ones, although the first name is given as James?

Sat 14 Apr 1906 Gloucester Citizen
Sat 21 Apr 1906 Gloucester Journal
Portsmouth inquest on Mr James Quintrell, aged 75 for many years master

ElizabethHerts
25-09-14, 12:24
Kate, it looks like him as there was an inquest. Odd that the name is wrong, although the character recognition produces gobbledy-gook sometimes.

Phoenix
25-09-14, 16:14
There's an odd policy of just including sample years for some papers - like Portsmouth Evening News.

That story must have been syndicated - which might account for getting the first name wrong.

Could you have been looking at Times Digital Archive to start with?

ElizabethHerts
25-09-14, 16:40
It must have been one of the Portsmouth or Hampshire ones, I would have thought, Phoenix.

I can't find it through the Times Digital Archives using my library card.

kiterunner
25-09-14, 16:45
I looked on the Times Digital Archive earlier and didn't find anything.

Merry
25-09-14, 16:52
There's a thread about him on the 2xg-grandparent forum where you've quoted a couple of newspaper articles regarding his death. You've given the source details for them there :D

ElizabethHerts
25-09-14, 16:57
There's a thread about him on the 2xg-grandparent forum where you've quoted a couple of newspaper articles regarding his death. You've given the source details for them there :D

OOH! Will take a look. :o

ElizabethHerts
25-09-14, 16:59
Many thanks, Merry!

So why don't they appear in the newspaper search?? They must have appeared once but not any longer.

Merry
25-09-14, 17:02
I don't know. FMP's last year for that paper is 1900.

kiterunner
25-09-14, 17:22
Maybe you looked it up on microfilm or something, Elizabeth? Or someone else did and passed it on to you?

ElizabethHerts
25-09-14, 17:26
I can't remember, Kate. Never mind, at least with Merry's help I found it.