PDA

View Full Version : an Oakes from Garston - but he is not in my tree

garstonite
23-09-14, 04:19
OAKES Frederick Lewis 40 years - 132 Whitehedge Road Garston 19 January 1927 5922 118094 C L 51 352 CEM 9/1/23

this man is buried in Toxteth Park Cemetery ....
if he is 40 - he is born 1886 - 1887 - I presume he fought in WW1 ...
I cannot find a birth for him in Liverpool - let alone Garston ??
every single Oakes I have ever encountered in Garston , I can relate to my family ....
Whitehedge Road is 3 streets from where I live now ...

genuinely stuck with this man - I can`t even find a birth for him on freebmd ..I am going on familysearch to see if he is in a census anywhere....
it is looking as if I might need some help ...:confused:
added

Shona
23-09-14, 06:08
There is a Fred Lewis Oakes, b Oldbury, Worcestershire, of about the right age on the 1891 census - parents Alfred Oakes and Emily Holland. A couple of public trees on Ancestry have that FLO as the one who died in Liverpool. One of these trees has a death cert. This shows that FLO died on 14 January 1927 at Highfield Sanatorium in Knotty Ash. The cause was TB and the death was registered by a brother - HH Oakes of 72 St Mary's Road, Garston. FLO's usual address was Dale Villas, Whitehedge Road, Garston. He worked as a railway driving car attendant.

EDIT
The Fred Lewis Oakes born in Worcestershire must the one buried in Liverpool as on the 1891 census he had a brother named Harry Holland Oakes - the HH Oakes who registered the death.

Merry
23-09-14, 06:14
This looks like him:

1891 census Oldbury, Worcestershire

Alfred Oakes head m 31 clothing outfitting b Suffolk Bungay
Emily Oakes wife m 30 milliner and draper b Staffs Great Bridge
Harry Holland Oakes son 8 b Oldbury
Fred Lewis Oakes son 3 b Oldbury
Sarah Boden serv 16 b Oldbury

So, not from your area!

His real name is Alfred, not Fredrick!

Births Sep 1887
OAKES Alfred Lewis W.Bromwich 6b 735

Merry
23-09-14, 06:45
lol Shona - what a slow typist I am!!

garstonite
23-09-14, 06:49
Thank you both so much - looks like he came as a Railway Driver to Garston Docks area ...so in a way I am pleased about that - I thought I had missed a family member for a moment ...the thing is though - did he marry and have children in Garston
and also HH Oakes 72 St Marys Road - is a shop - I wonder if he followed his father as a Clothing Outfitter ??....I would have thought TWO brothers from Oldbury - living in Garston between the 2 World Wars would have had some children ??...never heard of these Oakes family ........just been back on that site
SAME GRAVE
OAKES Emily 78 years - 72 St Marys Road Liverpool 16 August 1939 6270 125045 C L 51 352 CEM 9/1/24
SO - Emily was 66 when her son Alfred died in 1927.....I wonder where the father died ??
and obviously Alfred never came here to be a Railway Attendant - his mum / dad / HH also came here to open a shop ....actually very interesting to find another Oakes family in Garston ....they had more money than my Oakes family ...lol
thanks again
it turned out to be interesting for me
cheers
allan
how sad Harry H Oakes died mar qtr 1938 Liverpool South aged 55 - a year before his mum - so she lost both her sons before she died in 1939
added - just worked that out - so Emily was 71 when Harry H died aged 55 = she was 16 when she had him ...must have been very close to him being only 16 years age difference ...very sad

Shona
23-09-14, 07:26
Harry Holland Oakes left £276 5s - admin to widow, Annie.

garstonite
23-09-14, 07:43
thanks Shona - interesting family to me obviously ....Harry wasn't buried in Toxteth Park Cemetery - so I have to presume he is in Allerton Cemetery....2 miles from Garston ...
cheers
aalan