PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Divorce

Lynn the Forest Fan
20-09-14, 13:07
Prompted by this week's WDYTYA and Martin Shaw looking for his missing grandfather, I am trying again to find out what happened to my husband's great grandmother, Edith Shaw.

Edith is a real mystery, as she seems to have been born before her parents married and also used the name Adelaide. I have what I believe to be her birth certificate from June 1887 born Adelaide Bowdler in Little Drayton. In 1891 she is in Little Drayton with mother Mary A and father Thomas, I have found a marriage for a Thomas Shaw & Mary Ann Bowler in 1888 in Market Drayton. In 1901 she is listed as Edith and is working in Tyrley not far from the rest of her family. She marries Patrick Lyons in August 1907 in Flint and gives birth to hubby's grandfather in the December. :eek: They then go onto have 4 other children, the last in 1922 and then the story is that she left and wasn't talked about, my fil knows no more than that & if his sister does, then she isn't passing on the info. :( When their son Gerald died in 1943, she was listed as being dead on the Scottish death certificate, although I have never managed to find an obvious death.
So I am interested in finding out if there is any record of a divorce, is there any way of finding that info online?

Muggins in Sussex
20-09-14, 13:14
Hi Lynn

I found out that my maternal grandmother's divorce papers were at Kew by putting her name in the TNA's search engine - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ - it gave the name of the co-respondent too. I guess you could try that.

Lynn the Forest Fan
20-09-14, 13:18
Thanks, I will do :)

kiterunner
20-09-14, 15:08
Not all divorces are on there, though, and as far as I know, 20th century divorces which aren't on TNA aren't usually listed anywhere online unless they made the newspapers.

Lynn the Forest Fan
20-09-14, 15:52
I looked but couldn't find it :( They may not have got divorced as he was a catholic