PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to start with Scottish research

BlueSavannah
17-09-14, 15:42
Hi,

I am currently re-looking at my great x 4 grandfather David Adams and would like some advice on where to start.

Here is what I know of him. He is born circa 1776. He gave his birth place as Glasgow on the 1851 census. He just said Scotland on the 61 census.

He married Elizabeth Cole at Gretna Green on the 21st September 1820. I couldn't be sure what the parish name was that was given for him. I did once have a thread a few years ago asking for peoples' opinions on that and the best we could come up with was Busing but it didn't appear to exist anywhere. http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8454&highlight=david+adams

I have wondered a few times if Elizabeth was his first wife or not. He would have been about 44 when he married her.

David & Elizabeth had 6 children together in various places in England. The last being Nathan Adams who was born in West Bromwich in 1834. At some point between this birth and 1840, Elizabeth dies. Not a clue where though.

David remarries on the 8th November 1840 in Liverpool to Frances Stevenson. It is on this marriage that he gives his father's name as David Adams, Hairdresser.

David & Frances along with a couple of his children are still in Liverpool in 1841 and they are in Everton in 1851. By 1861, he is living in Shoreditch, London. His age on the 61 census is 86. His occupation on anything I can find of him is always Shoe Maker.

I believe he died in 1867 in Shoreditch but have not yet bought the death cert or have found a burial for him.

I am really hoping to try and start to search for his birth and whether or not there were any wives before Elizabeth.

Would anyone be able to help with any pointers?

Many thanks :)

kiterunner
17-09-14, 15:59
The best places are FamilySearch and Scotland's People, Claire, but I'm sure you've already searched on those. Ancestry does have copies of lots of FamilySearch's databases now, which means you can also search them using ancestry's search facility which may or may not come up with something different.

kiterunner
17-09-14, 16:07
Bearing in mind that David is often mistranscribed as Daniel, FamilySearch does have a Daniel McAdam born 27 Apr 1770 Glasgow, parents Daniel McAdam and Marion Morison. But it looks as though that one is down as Daniel on Scotland's People too, so probably correct.

BlueSavannah
17-09-14, 16:29
Hi Kate,

Yes, I have looked at Familysearch but like you say, there is often mistranscriptions so I am looking at the results and not having any clue whether any could be the right man.

I am guessing that Glasgow should be the place I stick with as its the only place David actually mentions on census for his birth place (other than just 'Scotland'). Not sure I can take anything from the Gretna Green record of his marriage as no one can be sure what it actually says nevermid where it actually is.

I have looked at Scotlands People a few years ago and didn't see any likely candidates. Mind you, I am not very good on SP so I possibly didn't search properly.

Shona
17-09-14, 17:16
There is this birth/baptism:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=fs1scotlandbirthsandbaptisms&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=daniel&gsfn_x=NN&gsln=adams&gsln_x=NN&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=fpy&cp=11&pcat=34&fh=48&h=2759749&recoff=&ml_rpos=49

Daniel Adam, son of Robert Adam and Mary Clark, born 1 July 1775, baptised 4 July 1776, Barony, Lancashire. Barony is an old Glasgow parish.

That couple married on 11 June 1773 in Glasgow.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=FS1ScotlandMarriages&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=robert&gsfn_x=NN&gsln=adam&gsln_x=NN&gskw=glasgow&gskw_x=1&dbOnly=_F8007B4E%7c_F8007B4E_x&uidh=fpy&pcat=34&fh=3&h=1463678&recoff=&ml_rpos=4

BlueSavannah
17-09-14, 17:37
Hi Shona,

I don't think that will be my David because his father was also called David Adams according to his marriage certificate to Frances Stevenson. David Senior is supposed to be a Hairdresser.

JBee
18-09-14, 15:36
Donald is also a name that changes to Daniel.

I would always check Scottish OPR's with family search first to reduce possibilities and then download the OPR image from Scotlandspeople.

Not sure Scotlandspeople have any/more than on family search.

Would always check Hugh Wallis for the batch numbers for Glasgow and see if they have survived.