PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Bulmer

Phoenix
13-09-14, 17:36
Christopher was a peripatetic shipwright.

He married Isabella Smith (b Monkwearmouth c 1793) in London 28 April 1822

His daughter Margaret Eleanor was b Feb 1822 Shadwell & bp April 1822 St George in the East

His daughter Eleanor was b October bp November 1823 St Peter Monkwearmouth

Isabella remarried, to Alexander Blackett, in 1832 in Sunderland and appears to have remained in the North East for the rest of her days.

Can anyone spot Christopher's death?

And can anyone figure out who the Christopher Bulmer bootmaker b circa 1830 who married Elizabeth Pitkeathley at St Pancras London in 1856 is? His father, Christopher, is helpfully dead! I can only find him on censuses after his marriage.

kiterunner
13-09-14, 18:07
And can anyone figure out who the Christopher Bulmer bootmaker b circa 1830 who married Elizabeth Pitkeathley at St Pancras London in 1856 is? His father, Christopher, is helpfully dead! I can only find him on censuses after his marriage.

What is his birthplace on the censuses?

kiterunner
13-09-14, 18:12
As for the first Christopher you mentioned, there is a baptism on FamilySearch 2 Sep 1792 at St Peter's, Monk Wearmouth, Co Durham, Christopher Bulmer, son of Francis and Eleanor. It gives his date of birth as 2 Sep 1791 but I don't know whether that's right. But given the mother's name, I wonder whether he could be your Christopher?

I have to say though, I would never have guessed what a common name Christopher Bulmer was before I looked it up on FamilySearch! There are loads of them!

kiterunner
13-09-14, 18:25
FMP has a Christopher Bulmer death listed at Felixkirk, Yorkshire, in 1831, age 35 (from the National Burial Index) and also in the Cleveland Memorial Inscriptions (on FMP) with location indexed as Yorkshire.

They also have a Christopher Bullmer listed in the City of London Burials 1827 age 76 but that one is a bit old to be the one you're looking for.

Olde Crone
13-09-14, 18:27
*I don't like the similarity between boatmaker and bootmaker*

OC

Phoenix
13-09-14, 18:35
Lol, OC.

I think that the younger CB is a complete red herring. I think. It looks as if he is in Catterick in 1841 with his grandmother and that his father was possibly b 1807.

Phoenix
13-09-14, 19:01
I know what you mean about too many CBs, Kite.

Given the preponderance of Eleanors, that baptism looks good. It is certainly in the right place. I know that Durham people used the coastal routes as we would use the M1.

Trying to get my head around Felixkirk. That's Richmond sort of area, isn't it? Off to explore a bit...

Shona
13-09-14, 21:51
Durham Records Online have an 1823 burial for a Christopher Bulmer, b c1793, in Monkwearmouth Shore.

Phoenix
13-09-14, 23:00
Whooo!

Thank you, Shona! That would tie everything together very neatly!