PDA

View Full Version : FMP census address search struggle....

Merry
09-09-14, 13:14
I'm trying to find an address on the 1911 census - I used to be able to do this before they upgraded the search and I refuse to be beaten now! Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong, please.

I clicked the 'Search records' tab and selected 'Census, land and surveys' from the drop-down menu.

Next I clicked on 'All collections' and selected 'Census'.

In the box after 'Britain' for the 'Where' information I typed Twickenham.

Address House Number: 44

Street: Bonser Road

Record Set: I selected the 1911 census.

Clicked Search......waited..... got 0 results!

Next I played with the electoral rolls and ancestry's 1911 census and found that Catherine Ellen Simmonds was living at 44 Bonser Road (and that's not helping, but that's a different issue!). I searched for her by name on FMP and this is part of the transcript of her entry.

First name(s) Catherine Ellen
Last name Simmonds
Relationship to household head Head
Marital condition Widow
Gender Female
Age 65
Birth year 1846
Birth place Sussex Hastings
Occupation Private Means
Address 44 Bonser Road Twickenham
Parish Twickenham
County Middlesex

I had already tried not including the house number and/or leaving off 'Road' in case it was abbreviated, neither of which produced any results. I'm clearly doing something wrong :o Any ideas please?

Shona
09-09-14, 13:29
After you select the census you wish to search, you get a tab on the right-hand side where you can switch from searching for a person to searching for an address.

Does that help?

kiterunner
09-09-14, 13:34
You might be best to select the 1911 England and Wales census from the A-Z of record sets (on findmypast) and then you get address search fields on the screen as well as the name fields. If you then put 44 Bonser Road in the address and Twickenham in the parish she will come up.

Janet
09-09-14, 13:34
Merry, under "Search Records" go to the bottom of the list and click on "A-Z Record Sets".

When you see 1911 Census For England & Wales, click on it.

In the field labeled "Address" type 44 Bonser Road, nothing else, and click Search.

Four households come up, including your Simmonds.

EDIT: Snap, Kate! :-)

Janet
09-09-14, 13:36
After you select the census you wish to search, you get a tab on the right-hand side where you can switch from searching for a person to searching for an address.

Does that help?

Ah, thanks, Shona. Hadn't noticed that!

EDIT: Can't get that to work for me in this case. It returns zero results. :-(

Merry
09-09-14, 13:47
You might be best to select the 1911 England and Wales census from the A-Z of record sets (on findmypast) and then you get address search fields on the screen as well as the name fields. If you then put 44 Bonser Road in the address and Twickenham in the parish she will come up.

Ah, thanks - I remember you saying that before now :o:o:o

Does that help?

It did once I'd reached the right place to see it! Thanks Shona!

Merry, under "Search Records" go to the bottom of the list and click on "A-Z Record Sets".

When you see 1911 Census For England & Wales, click on it.

In the field labeled "Address" type 44 Bonser Road, nothing else, and click Search.

Four households come up, including your Simmonds.

EDIT: Snap, Kate! :-)

Thanks Janet :)

Ah, thanks, Shona. Hadn't noticed that!

EDIT: Can't get that to work for me in this case. It returns zero results. :-(

It did work for me!!! :D

Thanks everyone. The question is, will I remember next time??? :o:o:o

Phoenix
10-09-14, 11:52
I am a frequent user of their help & advice, frequently asked questions tab. Hopefully, if I keep on asking, they'll reason that such things as addresses are important!

Margaret in Burton
11-09-14, 17:57
I can't get the address search to work for me either.

Margaret in Burton
11-09-14, 17:58

Does that help?

I don't see that.

Ah! Got it now. What does it work that way and not if you go the alternative way of adding the address?