PDA

View Full Version : Child deaths

Phoenix
31-08-14, 21:14
A friend is curious about a foster child, brought up in an aunt's house and on the 1911 census.

The child, aged 7, is given the aunt's surname. Birthplace is stated.

The family story is that this child died during the influenza outbreak after WW1, in another town.

I have found a child born in birthplace A in 1903, and a child of the same name dying in deathplace B in 1918 aged 15.

Does this actually prove anything? Would it be worthwhile getting the two certificates? Would they prove anything?

kiterunner
31-08-14, 21:38
I should think it depends on how rare the name is really, Phoenix.
If it is the right person and they did really die of influenza then it should give that as the cause of death on the death cert. Also it might give details of one or other parent on the death cert.
Is the surname on the index the aunt's surname? And could that be the same as the surname of one of the child's parents?

Phoenix
01-09-14, 08:16
The aunt's surname is rare (to me, at least) but the child's surname is not. (No death of a child with the aunt's surname - sorry, I should have made that clear)

I am told that influenza was so rife that the undertakers could not cope and families had to find their own coffins. Certainly, the average death rate appears to be four or five of that christian name in "normal" quarters and 14 in December.

If my friend recognises the surname, all well and good, but I feel that there could easily be two or even three different children involved here. Especially as my friend is not convinced that even the christian name is original.

I have suggested school/workhouse records as a possible way forward. I may add that she is a much more experienced researcher than I am, but doesn't use computers at home.

Nell
08-09-14, 19:35
So the child only has the rarer surname of the aunt, when on the census? Birth and death registered in more common name?

My grandmother's aunt had an adopted child, Frederick Foyle, in 1911 census, with his birth surname, not hers. I think she may have been looking after him to boost her income - I found him in 1901 with his parents. It explained a letter I found addressed "Dear Madam" (no name or address given) written from the captain of a ship, about this chap, who died at sea. I didn't know what the connection was, until I saw the 1911 entry and realised "Madam" must be Elizabeth Vine.