PDA

View Full Version : Husband gone awol?

anne fraser
24-08-14, 09:30
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1911England&indiv=try&h=43498196

I have been using ancestry free weekend to add some missing bits to my tree.
I have found this 1911 census for a Horne family. Harriet Horne is with her daughter Mary who is described as the wife of R. N. Hall and two of their children but can any one find any sign of R. N. Hall any where. He seems rather elusive.

kiterunner
24-08-14, 09:43
Their marriage comes up on FreeBMD as Oct-Dec 1883 Newport, Shropshire, and his full name is Richard Nicklin Hall.

kiterunner
24-08-14, 09:45
Richard Nicklin Hall's birth registered Oct-Dec 1853 Dudley.

kiterunner
24-08-14, 09:48
Googling for his name, he seems to have done a lot of exploring in Rhodesia, so he may have been there.

anne fraser
24-08-14, 09:56
Thanks. I thought he just did not like census night.

anne fraser
24-08-14, 10:02
Thanks Kite. I have just found this. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E05E4D71738E633A2575AC2A9679D946596D6CF
It just goes to show the side branches are often the most interesting. You do have the right chap.

I am not sure I want to claim him though:

Bent was amateurish and narrow-minded but not utterly incompetent. The same could not be said of Richard Nicklin Hall, a local journalist and author of The Ancient Ruins of Rhodesia. In what would prove to be one of the most sickeningly misguided assignments in the history of archeological preservation, the BSA appointed Hall Curator of Great Zimbabwe, with a mandate to undertake "not scientific research but the preservation of the building." Instead, Hall, hell-bent on finally settling the issue of its origins, launched into a full-scale "archeological" investigation. Claiming he was removing the "filth and decadence of the Kaffir occupation," he scoured the site for signs of its white builders, discarding from three to 12 feet of stratified archeological deposits throughout Great Zimbabwe. An archeologist who visited the site shortly after Hall left deemed his fieldwork "reckless blundering ... worse than anything I have ever seen."