PDA

View Full Version : A different first name on baptism?

BlueSavannah
23-08-14, 18:32
I was wondering if this had happened to any of you?

In my tree, I have Clara Eggington born in Sheffield in 1864. The daughter of Joseph & Faith.

Faith Cutts married Joseph Eggington on the 1st December 1863 at St Philip, Sheffield. She married again at the same place only 3 years later on the 22nd April 1867 to James Dockerty. Both men were soldiers. I have not yet found a likely death for Joseph Eggington but realise it is possibly overseas with him being a soldier.

I cannot locate Faith, new husband or any children on the 1871 census but i've found the family on the 1881 census where Clara is listed as 'Dockerty' but her age shows she was born before her mother's marriage to James

I've found Clara's birth reg in the December Q of 1864 and i've been searching for a baptism ever since to prove she was Joseph's child, not James'. Today I thought I had struck gold when discovering a baptism of an Eggington child, parents Joseph & Faith at St Simon, Sheffield on the 4th December 1864 (child born 6th November 1864)......only one problem, the child's first name on the baptism was 'Sarah'.

I do think this baptism of 'Sarah' is Clara but has anyone else had this happen?

kiterunner
23-08-14, 18:44
I've certainly come across this type of thing before, Claire. It could be a mistake on the part of the vicar or parish clerk when they filled in the baptism register or it could be that the parents changed their minds about her name.

You have an old thread about this family:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17891&highlight=eggington

BlueSavannah
23-08-14, 18:54
Thanks Kite. I am fairly sure it will be the same person. I think I am more likely to go with the error on the vicar or clerk as she's Clara again in 1881.

I completely forgot about that old thread. Still not much further on from there. I did find John Dockerty's baptism at St Simon Sheffield in 1867 and he's definitely James & Faith's child.

Jill
24-08-14, 09:00
An aunt's birth was registered as Betty, to the fury of her mother as the father got it wrong on the registration - at least that was his story - but christened as Beryl (the name she was known by all her life.