PDA

View Full Version : billy fury

garstonite
23-08-14, 11:10
My local pub ...me "Billy Fury was born in Garston - real name Ronnie Wycherley"
other man - " no he wasn`t ,he was born in Dingle ( Toxteth) "
me "I will go on freebmd and check if he is Liverpool South - or Toxteth "
so today - I am trying to find him
googled Billy Fury to make sure he was Ronnie Wycherley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Fury
so he was born in Sefton General Hospital - (same as my 2 boys )
that`s where Garston women went to give birth
Toxteth women went to the Womens Hospital to give birth
so I still insist he was taken home to Garston and later on in life moved to Dingle (Toxteth )
BUT
www.freebmd.org.uk
1940 ...NO Ronald Wycherley ???...so- are Wiki and me BOTH wrong ???
any advice welcomed ....there is a pint of Bass on this ...lol:d
ADDED....1936 dec qtr Ronald Wycherley - mmn Bennion

anne fraser
23-08-14, 11:23
This says he was brought up in the Dingle: http://www.nic.fi/~nallew/pages/bio.html
The bass is looking shaky.

Olde Crone
23-08-14, 11:29
Allan

1936 and 1940 - both years a Ronald Wycherley was born in Sefton Park. (Lancsbmd). Perhaps the first one died?

Also remember that Freebmd isn't yet complete, so maybe they haven't done 1940 Liverpool yet!

OC

garstonite
23-08-14, 11:31
This says he was brought up in the Dingle: http://www.nic.fi/~nallew/pages/bio.html
The bass is looking shaky.
I know he was brought up in the Dingle - but I say he moved there from Garston when he was about 3-4 ...
I think this is his grandads marriage ...William Wycherley ...and Ronnie looked so like his grandad as a young boy he was nicknamed little Billy
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJWM-JDW

ADDED...Thanks OC never thought of that ...after seeing the 2 Sefton Park births I am even more convinced the family were in Garston ...thing is I have no proof

kiterunner
23-08-14, 11:38
Yes, if you look at the coverage charts on FreeBMD you can see that they have not completed 1940 births yet. Don't forget, you can view images of the indexes for free on FreeBMD even if they have not transcribed them yet.

Ancestry shows that Ronald Wycherley's birth was registered Apr-Jun 1940 in Liverpool South district.

garstonite
23-08-14, 11:45
Kate - registered Apr-Jun 1940 in Liverpool South district.....ah ...thank you Kate ....so he was registered IN the hospital ...I registered both my boys in there ...(do all large hospitals have a birth / death Register Office ??)...so looking more and more like Garston and not Dingle at birth ...

garstonite
23-08-14, 12:05
father Albert Wycherley - mother Sarah Jane ...she was known as Jean - can`t find that marriage on freebmd or lancsbmd ?

kiterunner
23-08-14, 12:24
Kate - registered Apr-Jun 1940 in Liverpool South district.....ah ...thank you Kate ....so he was registered IN the hospital ...I registered both my boys in there ...(do all large hospitals have a birth / death Register Office ??)...so looking more and more like Garston and not Dingle at birth ...

I don't get how you know he was registered in the hospital, Allan?

kiterunner
23-08-14, 12:30
father Albert Wycherley - mother Sarah Jane ...she was known as Jean - can`t find that marriage on freebmd or lancsbmd ?

The marriage is on FreeBMD - Jul-Sep 1939 Liverpool South, Albert E Wycherley / Sarah J Homer.

garstonite
23-08-14, 12:52
Thanks Kate ....Liverpool South is not West Derby reg ...my children were registered Liverpool South - Wavertree - where Sefton General Hospital is ...I registered them in the Hospital grounds - it was a seperate building to register Births and deaths within the hospital ...I was under the impression that office within the hospital was known as Liverpool South ??...is that not the case ??

Shona
23-08-14, 12:57
This is from the Billy Fury website.

'He was born at 8.45am on April 17, 1940, in Smithdown Hospital, Liverpool, now Sefton General Hospital, weighing 6lbs 15oz.

'Initially, his father Albert (d 1985), a wartime soldier who became a shoemaker, and mother Sarah Jane (known as Jean) Wycherley (b March 25 1921), planned to call him Kenneth, but this was soon changed to Ronald.'

kiterunner
23-08-14, 13:03
GENUKI has this about Liverpool South registration district:

Only that part of the parish not in Liverpool North registration district, namely the following wards of Liverpool County Borough: Abercromby, Aigburth, Allerton, Brunswick, Castle Street, Childwall, Dingle, Edge Hill, Exchange, Garston, Granby, Great George, Kensington, Little Woolton, Low Hill, Much Woolton, Princes Park, Scotland, Sefton Park, St Annes, St Peters, Toxteth Park, Vauxhall, Wavertree, and West Wavertree). See also Table 2, notes (a) to (f).

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/liverpool%20south.html

And as OC said, Ronald Wycherley's birth was registered in Sefton Park sub-district, according to Lancashire BMD. I have found some forum posts which say that Kelly's Directory for 1968 showed the register office for that sub-district as Sefton General Hospital, but I don't know whether it was the same in 1940 nor whether that was the only register office for the sub-district.

garstonite
23-08-14, 13:14
ah - OK ...thanks ...so in 1940 it may not have just been any births deaths at the Hospitalbut could have been from any one of those named areas ???...so- Dingle and Garston are named ....so could still have been in either ?...ha ha ...so no further on ...lol...off to the football now....will have a look later .....thanks everybody for your input ....allan.

kiterunner
23-08-14, 13:15
Sefton Park is the sub-district that his birth is listed under, so he was born in Sefton Park sub-district.

Also bear in mind that if they actually registered his birth at another office, the registration would have been sent on to Sefton Park / Liverpool South because that was where he was born, and it would still be listed under that district and sub-district, so you can't tell from the listings where they actually went to register his birth.

Margaret in Burton
23-08-14, 14:53
You could prove it Allan by buying the birth cert. ;)

tenterfieldjulie
24-08-14, 05:01
Expensive pint Marg lol

garstonite
24-08-14, 07:08
Yes Julie -a pint of Bass is only £2 in my pub ....lol
thanks all - I think this is now a dead end - neither of us can prove where he went when he came out of hospital ...

Merry
24-08-14, 07:36
What about a baptism? If you could find one, that would give you an address!

Tilly Mint
24-08-14, 08:23
I wished this was asked a while ago, Allan.....I had been with his mum on a few occasions and could have asked her!

Margaret in Burton
24-08-14, 08:25
Cheap pint of Bass £2. Not sure how much here but more than that. Just as an aside, did you know that Bass as a brewery doesn't exist anymore? Draught Bass is now brewed under license by Marston's in Burton. We find this amusing as Marston's was always the main competition.

Talking of Marston's, there is a 3 part programme on Channel 5 starting on Friday with Al Murray doing a documentary on them. I shall certainly be watching, it's only a couple of miles down the road from me.

Merry
24-08-14, 08:26
For what it's worth, Billy's first school was St Silas's infant school, according to his Oxford Dictionary of National Biography entry.

Looks like that is/was at Pengwern St. (Toxteth?) (apparently, Ringo Starr went there too!)

garstonite
24-08-14, 10:19
Yes - St Silas is in the Dingle ...
I have a silly question
Ancestry is free this bank holiday weekend - I have just spent a long time looking at all my Oakes burials in our local church ...a little upsetting to be honest when you see the ages of your grand father - g - gg grandfather all dying up to 20 years earlier than I am now ...
would billy fury baptism be on Ancestry ?

kiterunner
24-08-14, 10:25
would billy fury baptism be on Ancestry ?

No, their Liverpool baptisms only go up to 1906.

garstonite
24-08-14, 10:35
OK ...Thanks Kate ...