PDA

View Full Version : Poplar Parish records

HarrysMum
14-08-14, 11:43
Does anyone know if there are any baptism records for Poplar online?

I need 1830s, 1850s and 1860s.

I've tangles myself in a million knots and can't afford to buy umpteen certs to sort it.

Shona
14-08-14, 12:05
There are Poplar baptisms on Ancestry:

- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906.

HarrysMum
14-08-14, 12:28
Thanks Shona. Can't find either of them there. How can people just appear or disappear? Mine are masters at it.

Shona
14-08-14, 13:21
What names are you searching for, Libby?

HarrysMum
14-08-14, 21:15
Sorry Shona.....went to bed in disgust.....
I found a George Huband on the 1861 census in London. Says he was born 1834. London or Poplar. .....not on my computer. Can let you know. I have never seen him before and want to find who he belongs to. His wife is Mary born Devon, which adds to my interest.

Next is George William Godfrey Huband born Poplar Mar 1860. I expected to find him with my William and Mary Ann in 1861, but he is not there. He pops up again marrying Kate Coughlin in 1881 and they are on the 1891.

Val in Oz
15-08-14, 03:21
Elusive folk these Libby.

Do you think that George Huband married Mary Ann Starkey at St Giles in 1854?

Val in Oz
15-08-14, 03:26
No he didn't - cancel that thought....:eek:

That George Huband married Jane Stubbs 9th April 1854 - his father was Richard Huband a labourer
and George was a brass-beader?

Sorry

HarrysMum
15-08-14, 03:29
HI Val........where did you find those please? If you say Ancestry, I'll scream. I can't find anything on that new search. I have the world sub and am using freebie sites because no matter what I do on Ancestry, I either get no records or a million useless ones...lol

Val in Oz
15-08-14, 04:12
whispers...........on ancestry Libby....sorry

I went into the London records and then into marriages and then typed in Mary Ann Starkey 1854

The pages came up showing her marriage to Peter Miller, and underneath that one was the marriage of Peter Huband to Jane Stubbs

Sorry, don't scream too loudly.....:d:d:d

Val in Oz
15-08-14, 04:17
I'll pm you my phone number - ring me if you want me to guide you into it

I have also sent you an email

kiterunner
15-08-14, 09:49
Libby, click on your user name at the top of the screen and select "Site preferences", then scroll down to the bottom to find "Search Preferences" and tick the box for "Use category exact mode (simulates old search)" and click on the "Update Preferences" button.

And make sure to tick the "Match all terms exactly" box when you search.

The "category exact" thing should mean that when you do a search, you get a "Categories" tab to click on that gives you a list of databases with the number of matches for each, similar to how the old search organised its results.

Also, I find that whenever I do a search, the first time it defaults some of the fields to "broad match" so I get millions of results, but all I do is to click on "Edit Search", change nothing at all, click on "Search" again and it will come back with just the exact matches.

Hope this helps!

Shona
15-08-14, 09:56
Looking at the indexes, GWGH's birth was registered in Poplar in the first quarter of 1860, so he may have been born in 1859. Can't find a match in the London records, though. :(

HarrysMum
15-08-14, 10:21
Thank you. Kate, I'll try that.

Val......I haven't got an email from you on my computer, but it may be on my old address which is on Lawrie's. I'll have a look. Thank you.
I will ring you.

Shona.....I've no idea where GWGH is in the missing years.

William Huband (born 1824 Stonehouse) is the son of my ggg grandparents William and Agness Huband (nee Horswill).

He marries Mary Ann Finn in Stepney in 1855, and they are on the census from then on.

His sister, Sarah Tracey Huband marries John Campbell in Plymouth in 1842 and has a son, John GODFREY Campbell in 1843. I assumed the Godfrey must have come from the Campbell side, but I got excited when I found the birth of GWGH in 1860 and presumed he belonged to William and Mary Ann.

HarrysMum
15-08-14, 10:34
Got the email and replied Val.