PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall Archives Centre

ElizabethHerts
06-08-14, 09:28
A new archives and local studies centre for Cornwall is being built at Redruth:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/kresenkernow

I'm rather sad it's leaving Truro, as that is more easily accessible when I visit Cornwall. However, it's good news that Cornwall will have a purpose-built centre.

Olde Crone
06-08-14, 11:01
Blinky heck, it doesn't seem five minutes since they opened the Study Centre in Redruth, but I suppose it's a few years ago now....

I do think this will be an improvement. Redruth is much better for parking, traffic and so on and the present premises at Old County Hall are very cramped. To have it all under one roof will be marvellous.

Incidentally - guess what has prompted all this? The Old County Hall site has been sold to developers for an upmarket boutique-style hotel, hahaha. Doesn't money talk.

OC

Nell
06-08-14, 21:08
You cynic, OC!

I dream of getting down to Cornwall one day. My maternal grandmother's family were all from around Padstow and St. Columb Major, so a bit of a hike to Redruth. Oh well, at least the parish registers are on familysearch and free!

Olde Crone
06-08-14, 21:26
Hmmm. Now I have worked out where the new centre is to be, I'm not sure it will be an improvement in terms of travel, parking etc. The site is in an awkward position on a road which probably cannot be widened.

It's all rather leisurely anyway, not opening until 2017. I just hope it will be open fulltime, rather than the reduced hours they are operating under at the moment.

OC

ElizabethHerts
06-08-14, 21:29
You cynic, OC!

I dream of getting down to Cornwall one day. My maternal grandmother's family were all from around Padstow and St. Columb Major, so a bit of a hike to Redruth. Oh well, at least the parish registers are on familysearch and free!

Nell, don't forget the Cornwall OPC website. There is a wills' project and lots of transcribed wills are being added to the website, in particular transcripts of the PCC wills.

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/n_p/padstow.php
If you scroll down the page you will see there are already quite a few transcribed wills on Padstow page, plus lots of other information.

There aren't quite so many transcribed wills for St. Columb Major, but I expect this will increase.

The great thing about transcribed wills is that they sometimes mention other residents of the same village or town who may or may not be relatives of the testator.

Nell
09-08-14, 23:22
Thanks for that Elizabeth, I'll have a trawl tomorrow.

tenterfieldjulie
10-08-14, 00:09
Well after I win the Lottery!! .. I plan to return in 2018 .. Hopefully I will be better organised then and the new RO open!! Julie

Kit
11-08-14, 00:22
If you win the lottery Julie take me with you. :)