PDA

View Full Version : Mary Cutler

BlueSavannah
24-07-14, 07:48
Hi All,

I am trying to revisit Mary Cutler who is my great x 3 grandmother.

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8400&highlight=mary+cutler

I still haven't been able to prove if the above family that were found are actually my Mary and her family.

Mary married David Adams in Wath upon Dearne, Rotherham on the 24th November 1851. Ages were just given as Full. It stated her abode was Elsecar which is in Barnsley, and that her father was John Cutler, Labourer. The witnesses don't mean anything to me but their names are James Hinchley & Edwin Eyres.

I thought I might have made a small breakthrough last night when I noticed there was a Reuben Cutler and wife Sarah living in Stubbin, Nether Hoyland in 1851. They were lodging at the home of William Blood and his wife Maria. However, i've just found Reuben's marriage and his father is Joseph Cutler, not John Cutler. Stubbin, Nether Hoyland is where David Adams was also living on the 1851 census.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fstaff%2f007605089%2f00106&parentid=gbprs%2fstaff%2fmar%2f343776%2f1&highlights=%22%22

I can't help but think Reuben is somehow connected to my Mary (one witness at his marriage was a Mary Cutler who could be mine) but he's not a sibling as first thought he could be.

Any help to finally confirm who my Mary actually is, is much appreciated :)

ElizabethHerts
24-07-14, 08:17
On your other thread you stated that Mary was born at West Bromwich, Staffs.

I've just looked on FMP's Staffordshire records, and there are just three baptisms showing, none at West Bromwich, for 1827 +/- 5 years.

Two have a John as the father:

First name(s) Mary
Last name Cutler
Baptism year 1832
Baptism date 15 Jan 1832
Baptism place Gnosall, St Lawrence
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) John Alfred
Mother's first name(s) Jemima
County Staffordshire

First name(s) Mary
Last name Cutler
Baptism year 1829
Baptism date 12 Feb 1829
Baptism place Wolverhampton, St Peter
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) John
Mother's first name(s) Ann

However, I don't think all the parishes are there.

BlueSavannah
24-07-14, 08:23
Hi Elizabeth,

Yes, Mary was born in West Bromwich according to all census I have found her on.

If the 41 and 51 census family that was found on the other thread is indeed my family, then it looks like they were in West Bromwich all their lives so I think the above baptisms are unlikely to be the right.

I am not having much luck with the Staffordshire stuff on FMP. I've a lot of ancestry in Staffs but none of the parishes I need are on there (yet).

ElizabethHerts
24-07-14, 08:48
I just threw the baptisms into the mix, Claire. I didn't think they were likely to be her.

This is the scenario I have had for quite a few of my family. Initially a total brick wall, then, slowly as more records arrive online, the break-throughs happen.
Good luck with finding them.

BlueSavannah
24-07-14, 09:17
Thanks Elizabeth :)

BlueSavannah
24-07-14, 09:32
I've found in the probate register index a John Cutler who died 24th April 1868 and it says he was of West Bromwich and a Puddler. There is a good chance it might be the John Cutler that was found on the 41 and 51 censuses. I would like to order this to see if it mentions a daughter Mary (now Adams) at all. I've never ordered any wills in Staffordshire before and wondered if anyone knew the address or online form at all so that I can order this?

Many thanks

ElizabethHerts
24-07-14, 10:24
Where was it proved, Claire? I have to order a will that was proved at Lichfield and have contact details for that, somewhere!

kiterunner
24-07-14, 10:30
If he died in 1868 then it is on the National Probate Calendar and you can order it from Leeds or from "any district probate registry"; it doesn't matter where it was proved.

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

BlueSavannah
24-07-14, 10:42
It was at Lichfield but I didn't know that it could be ordered from Leeds or 'any district probate registry'. I will take a look at the link Kite and order this will. It may be a completely useless to me but I think its worth a try :)