PDA

View Full Version : Where is Lily Kavanagh?

Shona
23-07-14, 10:28
Helping a lady I know with her family tree. This is what she has told me.

Her grandmother, Lily Kavanagh, was born in Ireland in about 1903. Lily and her sisters Winifred, Lizzie, and Nellie, settled in Grimsby. Lily married John Kinnaird in Grimsby in 1925. Lily's death was registered in Grimsby in September 1940.

I think this is the Kavanagh family in Dublin in 1911.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Kingstown_No__4/Glasthule_Buildings/96826/

Glasthule Buildings, Kingstown, Dublin

Michael Kavanagh, 36, general labourer, RC, b Co Dublin, read and write
Rose, Kavanagh, 37, wife, RC, b Co Dublin, can't read
Mary Kavanagh, 15, daughter, RC, b Co Dublin, read and write
Winafred Kavanagh, 13, daughter, scholar, RC, b Co Dublin, read and write
Rosanna Kavanagh, 11, daughter, scholar, RC, b Co Dublin, read and write
Elizabeth Kavanagh, 10, daughter, scholar, RC, b Co Dublin, read only
Ellen Kavanagh, 4, daughter, RC, b Co Dublin
Michael, Kavanagh 7, son, RC, b Co Dublin
Catherine Kavanagh, 8 months, RC, b Co Dublin

Married 15 years, 7 children, 7 still living

But where is Lily? Can anyone find her, please?

Shona
23-07-14, 10:45
Or has my contact got confused and Lily is actually Elizabeth/Lizzie?

ElizabethHerts
23-07-14, 10:49
Helping a lady I know with her family tree. This is what she has told me.

Her grandmother, Lily Kavanagh, was born in Ireland in about 1903. Lily and her sisters Winifred, Lizzie, and Nellie, settled in Grimsby. Lily married John Kinnaird in Grimsby in 1925. Lily's death was registered in Grimsby in September 1940.

If she had a sister Lizzie then Lily must be missing on the census.

ElizabethHerts
23-07-14, 10:55
On the census form the couple say they have 7 children and 7 are still living.
There are 7 children on the form, so they are all accounted for. :(

ElizabethHerts
23-07-14, 10:56
Does your friend have Lily's marriage certificate? It would be interesting to know who her father was.

Shona
23-07-14, 11:23
I'll ask her. I know that Lily had a four-year-old child when she got married in 1925.

This looks like Michael and Rose Kavanagh in Byrne's Court, Kingstown in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Kingstown/Byrnes_Court__Part_/1319907/

They appear to have misplaced Mary and Winifred, as the only child recorded is one-year-old, Rose.

Kingstown is the former name of Dún Laoghaire.

Shona
23-07-14, 11:30
I've found Mary and Winifred in 1901 - recorded as grand-nieces.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Kingstown/Bryans_Court/1318514/

Bryan's Court, Kingstown

James Cowley, 32, single, gen lab, read, RC, b Co Dublin
Elizabeth Kavanagh, 43, widow, RC, can not read, b Co Dublin
Maryann Kavanagh, 4, grand-niece, RC, b Co Dublin
Winifred Kavanagh, 3, grand-niece, RC, b Co Dublin

Kit
24-07-14, 02:41
Do you know what happened to Mary and Rosanna? They are the only 2 females left on the 1911 that Lily could be, if they haven't gotten confused.

Shona
24-07-14, 14:21
Looking the siblings on the 1911 census:

1 Can't find out what happened to Mary.
2 Winifred married Albert Vickers in Grimsby.
3 Rosanna married Joseph Vize in Ireland in 1926.
4 Elizabeth - only reference appears to be on the 1911 census
5 Michael married Elsie Miller in Grimsby in 1929.
6 Ellen married George Walton in Grimsby in 1936.
7 Catherine may have died in 1911.

Beginning to think that the lady I'm helping is getting a bit mixed up. Elizabeth, Lizzie and Lily are in fact the same person.

vince
11-03-15, 05:27
I was looking AT INFORMATION ON GLASTHULE BUILDINGS WHEN I SAW YOUR POST FROM LAST YEAR WHERE IS LILY KAVANAH THIS LADY WAS MY FATHERS MOTHER, I HAVE JUST STARTED TO LOOK INTO MY FAMILY TREE IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW WHO YOUR FRIEND IS WE MUST BE RELATED, UNLESS YOUR FRIEND IS J**N W***** WHO IS MY COUSIN AND HAS ALREADY PASSED ON SOME INFORMATION TO ME
HOPING TO HEAR FROM YOU
THANKS VINCE

Shona
12-03-15, 10:35
Hello Vince and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy researching your family history. It can become a very absorbing hobby - as people here will testify.

As regards Lily Kavanagh, the person I was helping was, in fact, your cousin, JW.

However, don't let that deter you. There are members of this site with extraordinary expertise in researching family history who are always on hand to help, guide and advise you.

vince
19-05-15, 08:24
If anyone is still looking into this I have a copy of Lily Kavanagh's marriage certificate I am Lily's grandson she married John William kinnaird in Grimsby

tazzer1965
08-04-18, 14:16
hi vince,
im aware that this post was put up 3 years ago. I am the grandaughter of Michael Kavanagh my mum rose kavanagh is still alive, michaels daughter. My mum was 3 years old when he got lost at sea. Could you shed any information as we would like to take my mum to Ireland not sure what part of Ireland the family is from. We have the same information as you but cant seem to find out anything more. Mary is molly and elizabeth is lilly. Debbie - Grimsby

tazzer1965
08-04-18, 14:21
also for Shona, michael Kavanagh married florence miller not elsie. florence is my grandmother. :)

tazzer1965
08-04-18, 14:28
also does anyone have any old photos of this family? as we dont even have a photo of Michael. We have a photo of my great grandfather and great grandmother rose and michael only.

kiterunner
08-04-18, 15:11
Welcome to the forum, Debbie. Can you please confirm that your mum has given you the o.k. to post her name on here, as we don't allow details of living people to be posted without their permission.

Are you saying that the Michael Kavanagh who was 7 in 1911, son of Michael and Rose, was your grandfather? If you're sure about that, then the census records which Shona posted up show that he was from Kingstown, County Dublin, which is now called Dún Laoghaire.

Irish Civil Registration records are available on this link:
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/irish-records-what-is-available/civil-records

This looks to be Michael's birth registration:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1905/01797/1704874.pdf
Michael John Kavanagh, born 8 Sep 1904, parents Michael Kavanagh, labourer, and Rose Kavanagh, formerly Johnston, of Wellington Street.
Kingstown 2 Registrar's District, Rathdown Union, County Dublin.

tazzer1965
08-04-18, 17:12
Yes my mum as given her permission for me to state her name.
The Micheal Kavanagh who was 7 in 1911 is my Grandfather. He was lost at sea in October 1933 when he was 29yrs old on a ship called the Juliana that sailed out of Grimsby. My mum remembers when she was a young girl being in contact with Wynn Nell and Lilly, Lilly is short for Elizabeth and Nell short for Ellen also the Mary that was listed is in fact known as Molly, my elder sister was named after her.
My Mum as never been certain in what part of Ireland her father came from, Dublin was mentioned, but she was never 100%.The sad thing is she owns no photograph of her Dad.