PDA

View Full Version : Oldbury (Worcestershire) Parish Records

BlueSavannah
19-07-14, 13:47
Hi All,

I really want to view the baptism (and burials if possible) PRs for around 1838 to 1861 for this parish but I don't think there is anything online or any disks that I could purchase.

Would anyone who is familiar with Worcestershire be able to let me know if there are any resources either online or purchasable for these years?

I am unable to get to the records offices or libraries in Worcestershire :(

Many thanks

kiterunner
19-07-14, 14:18
FamilySearch's catalogue only lists microfiches, not microfilms, for "Parish registers for Oldbury, 1813-1970". They have something called an "extended loan" for microfiches but I haven't managed to find out the details of this yet and whether you can get them sent to the UK.

Apparently the original parish registers are at Smethwick Library, not Worcestershire Archives. Presumably in Sandwell Community History and Archives Service (known as CHAS) which is at Smethwick Library.
http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/200253/archives_local_and_family_history/596/visit_the_archives_service

They offer a research service costing £10 per half hour, and you can order copies of entries if you have the date etc but they don't seem to sell copies of the actual microfiches.

BlueSavannah
19-07-14, 14:28
Thank you Kite for the info :)

£10 per half hour seems extortionate but I might have to consider having to use that service with not being able to get there.

Durham Lady
20-07-14, 09:53
Claire I'm happy to go to look at the records at Worcester Hive for you, could probably go this coming Wednesday. If you'd like me too PM me the details.

kiterunner
20-07-14, 11:05
As far as I can make out, they don't have them at Worcester Hive, Daphne.

This is the PDF listing of the parish registers that they have there (on microfilm):

https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/pdf/Parish%20Registers%20on%20microfilm.pdf

BlueSavannah
20-07-14, 14:50
Daphne, that was a very generous offer but sadly Kite is correct. Apparantly the PRs for Oldbury are at Smethwick Library. Worcestershire Hive does have Bishop transcripts but only up to 1812 and I need from around 1837 to around 1861/71.