PDA

View Full Version : How close are your friends?

Shona
15-07-14, 19:25
This feature appeared on the The Independent's website today. Has anyone here found out that their friends are fourth cousins?

DNA tests prove your close friends are probably distant relatives

You can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your family, or so says the adage. But scientists have found that by choosing friends we may also be unwittingly choosing the company of distant relatives.

A study into the genetic nature of friendship has found that, on average, close friends are likely to be as genetically related to one another as fourth cousins who share the same great, great, great grandparents.

The findings suggest there is an unexplained mechanism that helps us to choose our friends based on how similar they are to us in terms of their DNA, said James Fowler, professor of medical genetics at the University of California, San Diego.

“Looking across the whole genome we find that, on average, we are genetically similar to our friends. We have more DNA in common with the people we pick as friends than we do with strangers in the same population,” Professor Fowler said.

The phenomenon may have arisen as part of an evolutionary process, he said. “The first mutant to speak needed someone else to speak to. The ability is useless if there’s no-one who shares it,” he said.

“These types of traits in people are a kind of social network effect.”

The research involved genome-wide studies of nearly 2,000 people who were part of a larger, long-term investigation into the factors that influence heart disease and who, as a result, had already had their DNA analysed for the smallest mutations.

Professor Fowler and his colleague Nicholas Christakis of Yale University took pairs of individuals based simply on whether they were friends or total strangers and analysed their DNA to see how different or similar each member of a pair was to one another.

They found that the strangers were quite dissimilar in terms of their DNA mutations, but that the pairs of friends were on average about as related to one another as fourth cousins, a genetic similarity of about 1 per cent of their DNA.

Although relatively small, the difference was still statistically significant, Professor Christakis said. “One per cent may not sound like much to the layperson, but to geneticists it is a significant number,” he explained.

“And how remarkable: most people don’t even know who their fourth cousins are. Yet we are somehow, among the myriad of possibilities, managing to select as friends the people who resemble our kin,” he said.

The findings could not be explained by people tending to make friends with members of the same ethnic group as the heart study overwhelmingly involved Americans of European ancestry, the scientists said.

In their study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Christakis and Fowler suggest that the phenomenon may have evolved as a version of a well-documented feature in Darwinism known as “kin selection”, when closely related animals cooperate to the mutual benefit of the genes they share.

The two scientists argued that friends are behaving as a sort of “functional kin” and that the genetic similarities of modern day friends to one another may have deep evolutionary roots that have in the past aided survival.

“Cues of kinship may foster altruistic impulses and cooperative exchanges with individuals displaying those cues, and it is not hard to imagine that such a system might possibly be extended to preferential (active) friendship formation,” they write in their scientific paper.

The olfactory sense of smell may be one possible way for people to subconsciously judge the genetic similarity of strangers to themselves, they said.

Previous studies, for instance, have shown that women can judge male attractiveness based on smell and this may result in choosing spouses whose immune systems are genetically unrelated, which could serve as a mechanism for avoiding in-breeding, the scientists said.

Christakis and Fowler found evidence to support this idea by showing that friends are most similar in the genes affecting the sense of smell, but they are more dissimilar for the genes that control immunity.

“It is possible that individuals who smell things in the same way are drawn to similar environments where they interact with and befriend one another,” the researchers said.

Perhaps the most intriguing result of the study, they said, is that the genes that are most similar between friends are also the ones that appear to have evolved the fastest over the past 30,000 years.

“It seems that our fitness depends not only on our own genetic constitutions, but also on the genetic constitutions of our friends,” said Professor Christakis.

Mary from Italy
15-07-14, 20:46
Very interesting.

I suspect I may be very distantly related to an ex-boyfriend from Uni days, but I haven't found definite evidence yet, although one of my lines appears to lead back to the same very small village where his family originated, and which we visited together (nowhere near where I grew up or my close family come from).

And when I got my first job after university, I moved a long way from home to a place which I've now discovered is only about 10 miles from the village where one line of my ancestors lived for hundreds of years.

Phoenix
15-07-14, 21:09
In a Room with a View, it is considered remarkable that the Emersons rent Cissie Villa. A coincidence that a bunch of people who knew each other in Florence should all descend on the same Surrey village. But people who visited Italy for its art visited London Art Galleries to look again at Italian art, so what seems extremely unlikely may be easily explained.

If we were genetically or culturally disposed to enjoy football, classical concerts, or whatever, we might well pick our friends from a similar group.

Best mate and I have ancestors in entirely different counties. But we are both fascinated by FH. Might there be some ancient, dominant genes that we share?

Olde Crone
15-07-14, 21:26
Ha! Now I read the same piece of news today, but in the Daily Wail (it was someone else's paper, I did not buy it) and THEIR spin on the same "facts" was that we share 1% of our DNa with our close friends and we share 1% of our DNA with our GGGPs.

It did not however elaborate on whether we share the SAME 1% with our friends and our ancestors. If we don't, then the findings are meaningless really and we could go on to extrapolate that we share 1% of our DNA with our butcher or solicitor or bank manager or people in Papua New Guinea!

OC

Shona
15-07-14, 21:30
Papua New Guinea? Have a sister-in-law from PNG. Eek! Now I'm related to posts on GF.

Olde Crone
15-07-14, 21:39
Shona

LOL! I had a neighbour who lived in PNG for 5 years and thus I feel a proprietorial interest in the place!

Actually - there are some neighbouring tribes on PNG who have LESS in common genealogically speaking, with each other than each tribe has with Europeans!

OC

Langley Vale Sue
16-07-14, 07:53
I must be either weird or just unlucky! I have never (so far anyway) met any people who are related to me, other than those I already knew from my childhood.

I found online, and later met, a previously unknown 2nd cousin of my OH and I have been contacted online by a granddaughter of one of my great aunts, but we have never met although I met her grandmother quite regularly when I was a child.

From what I know of my friends' genealogy none of us have any connections, although a couple of my friends have husbands who remembered me from their childhood or teenage years - but we won't go into that! :rolleyes:

Are my relatives just not interested in genealogy or am I just unlucky?

Merry
16-07-14, 08:23
I've done family trees for all of my close friends and don't seem to even have a part of the UK in common with any of them.

Through family history I have met up with many distant cousins but I wouldn't say I've become long term friends with any of them!

Shona
16-07-14, 09:40
Ditto, Merry!

WendyPusey
16-07-14, 11:15
Everywhere I go on the Island I meet people who have surnames that are in my tree. As they are all Island names most of them must be related in some way to me via my Grandmother.

Langley Vale Sue
16-07-14, 14:09
I did find out that my next door neighbour was a 2nd cousin of my friend who lives opposite us. Neither knew of each other and it was only through me doing both their trees that we made the connection. The connection was from Peckham in South East London and we are now in Surrey about 16 miles from there!

Michael
16-07-14, 14:44
Interesting reading. In my case, only one that I know of - Sarah (lozaras) on here, who is my fifth cousin once removed. I suspect I may be related to my ex-housemate's girlfriend (now wife), since the surname she shares with my great-grandmother is one which originates from a particular village - but since I don't really know her that well I've thought it better not to ask.

KiwiChris
16-07-14, 19:01
As a third generation NZer the chances of running into anyone more remote than a third cousin must be pretty unlikely. I did work with someone who turned out to be a third cousin. In another role, one of my colleagues is married to my fifth cousin, we only worked that out as we share a very uncommon surname. I have not met her yet!

kiterunner
16-07-14, 19:15
We don't know whether the results would be the same if a similar study were to be carried out in the UK, NZ, or Australia. Or even if it were carried out in the US but looking at African-Americans.

The findings could not be explained by people tending to make friends with members of the same ethnic group as the heart study overwhelmingly involved Americans of European ancestry, the scientists said.
And I'm not convinced that you can lump all "Americans of European ancestry" together as one "ethnic group". There are certainly states, counties and cities which have a predominance of people whose ancestors (mostly) came from one particular country, for instance there will be a lot of people with Irish roots in one city or suburb, Germans in another, and so on, so of course it would be likely that many of their friends would share their heritage.

marquette
17-07-14, 01:33
I have often thought I would find out that someone I know will turn out to be related to me ! So far I have only found that some distant cousins lived in the street where we lived - and we may well have lived there at the same time, but the Electoral Rolls only go up to 1980. Privacy laws make it difficult to find a current relative unless they are looking too, but so far no-one I know has found me.

I think there is probably a good chance that my husband and I share several strands of DNA - we both have family from around Wokingham in Berkshire, although there is so far no evidence that they ever intermarried, also from around Taunton in Somerset, Buxted in Sussex and around Glasgow in Scotland.

The rest our ancestors came from nearly every other county in between and Ireland too.

Kit
18-07-14, 14:13
OH and I are not related, that I have found, but we do have distant relatives in common but are on different sides of the tree.

That is all that I have found.

Margaret in Burton
18-07-14, 16:14
My elder daughter and her husband are half 7th cousins.

Langley Vale Sue
18-07-14, 16:27
OH and I are probably related way back as both his mother's paternal ancestors and my paternal grandmother's ancestors came from smallish neighbouring villages in the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire. I haven't found a definite connection yet though. Hard to find the correct ancestors when one is Evans & the other is Jones! :confused:

Janet in Yorkshire
21-07-14, 22:09
The forebears of both my mother and of my friend who lives up the road have been in the village where we live since the 1830's. Our two extended families are connected as her widowed gt-gdmother married my gt-uncle. Whilst we are not related, we do have relatives in common (descendants of the marriage) who are shared acquaintances of both of us.
When our mothers were children and living in the village, they each had several schoolfriends who were also first or second cousins.

Jay

Michael
22-07-14, 01:26
Hard to find the correct ancestors when one is Evans & the other is Jones! :confused:

Tell my about it - my father's grandfathers had the surnames Jones and Hughes, and they married a pair of sisters named Evans! Just to cap that, FFF and the two sisters (FFM and FMM) both had a mother whose maiden name was Jones - so my 2g-grandparents on that side (only six in total due to the cousin marriage) are three separate Joneses, plus Hughes, Evans and Lewis :eek: