PDA

View Full Version : Who is Mammy?

Kit
24-11-09, 23:52
I have a bible from 3 of my great aunts to "Dearest Mammy". It was given in 1929.

Is Mammy likely to be their mother?

Also under the above writing in 1936 is written in a different hand:

Janetta Sister C8/B

Sept 14 1936

The word is dearer to me than thousands of gold and silver.

One of the aunts was a nun. Do you think the Janetta Sister C8/B has something to do with her? Janetta was not a name of any of my g aunts.

HarrysMum
25-11-09, 00:22
"Mammy" sounds very southern USA, but I remember a Scottish aunt talking about her "Mam".

Do you know if they were in Australia??? And was the nun Catholic or C of E?
I have a list of Catholic nuns in Australia

Do you know the aunt's name before and after she entered the convent???

Kit
25-11-09, 01:59
Libby they were probably in India, they were all born there.

I think the nun was CofE. She was born Dorothy Bridges. No idea of after, that's why I wondered if Janetta might have been something to do with her.
I don't know if she came to Oz, although 2 of her sisters and a niece and nephew did end up here at some stage.

I feel the bible belonged to someone in the family for my Grandad to still have it, although it's nothing special in itself. I kept it for the handwriting and thinking it may have been my 2 greats grandma's.

Macbev
25-11-09, 02:43
I have known Irish people who refer to the 'Mammy' or 'Mam' as well. Janetta could be the religious name...I have an Alice in my tree who was referred to as Mother St John. Possibly Anglican nuns do the same thing .

Kit
25-11-09, 04:34
Just googled. Janetta means God's grace. I have no idea if nun's names relate to religious things but it would suit.

There is also a tiny christmas card from the 1930's marking one of the pages. I thought to google Enid forgothername but figure there are probably many of them and the card isn't addressed to anyone anyway.

MargaretMarch
25-11-09, 18:14
Everyone in the North of England would refer to their mother as Mam and I believe that people in Northern Ireland call their mothers Mammy. In this case if they lived in India could it be the person who looked after the children - an amah or something like that.
Margaret

Kit
25-11-09, 21:28
Good idea Margaret.

I know the aunts father came from London. I believe but can't prove that their mother's family was from the UK too. Maybe there is a nortnern england/irish influence in the family?

Durham Lady
25-11-09, 22:28
Durham and Northumberland use the word Mam too and young children say mammy.
I associate Mammy from an adult with Ireland.

Morf
26-11-09, 12:33
Welsh people call their mothers Mam too.

geniebug
03-12-09, 05:49
Do you know if they were in Australia??? And was the nun Catholic or C of E?
I have a list of Catholic nuns in Australia

Do you know the aunt's name before and after she entered the convent???

Libby Libby Libby - do you reallllly???

Do you know of a nun surname Conway (family came from Ireland, and then mostly to Kyneton, Victoria. I'm not sure which of the daughters it was, but my Nanna used to talk about the Conways in the family and that one was a nun. They were catholic by the way, and I assume it was Victoria.