PDA

View Full Version : 2 x Courtness marriages

Sussex Maid
07-07-14, 10:54
I have the Will of William Courtness (Haslemere, made 18 Feb 1713) in which he refers to his grandchildren -
William, John, Elizabeth, James and Henry Valler and
John, Robert, Ann and Thomas Overington
without naming their parents.
I think I have identified his two daughters -
Ann 1670 and Susanna 1675/6 baptised at Chiddingfold
but I cannot find any suitable marriage to either a Valler or Overington.
Any help/suggestions appreciated
Thank you

JessBow
07-07-14, 11:19
There is a Henry Valler baptism in 10 March 1805 HASLEMERE,SURREY,ENGLAND
Parents
father: William Valler
mother: Ann

That helps diddly squat....doesn't it?

Mary from Italy
07-07-14, 11:25
There's a baptism for Henry Valler in Haslemere in 1708, father Richard. There are 8 other baptisms there between 1695 and 1711, father Richard; mother sometimes not named, sometimes named as Rose.

That information's from FamilySearch; you can find the images in the Surrey PRs on Ancestry:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/grouplist.aspx?group=Surrey_History_Centre

However, I can't find a marriage for Richard Valler or a baptism for a Rose Courtness. It looks as though William also had a daughter Elizabeth.

Sussex Maid
07-07-14, 11:31
Thank you for looking Jess, that baptism is a bit late - but probably connected.
I did find 'possible' baptisms for the grandsons
Henry Valler - 1707 Haslemere with father Richard
and
Robert Overington - 1707 Chiddingfold with father John 'of Witley'
but even with that information I couldn't find anything...

Sussex Maid
07-07-14, 11:40
Mary, thank you for looking. There is a tree on Ancestry which has a Richard Valler jnr marrying Rose Dunce 1694 at Headley; looking through their children they have a William, John, Elizabeth and Henry but no James, and they have no information for Rose.
William Courtness had two other children - William jnr who married Susan/nah Swain 1691/2 and Elizabeth who married John Rapley 1700/1

kiterunner
07-07-14, 13:30
In the book of the Registers of Haslemere, there is the burial on 16 May 1712 of Catharine the wife of John Overinton. Also the baptism 26 May 1709 of Thos ye son of John Ouerington, farmer, of Witly. There are a couple of public trees showing John Overington's wife Catharine as a Catherine Surrey, but I think they have just taken her surname from the county rather than actually finding what her surname was.

Also, do you know who William Courtness's wife was, and is it possible that he had stepdaughters?

kiterunner
07-07-14, 13:51
At Witley, Surrey, the following baptisms:
4 Mar 1702/3 Ann ye Daughter of John Ouerintun & of Catharine his wife was baptized
23 Aug 1705 John Ouferentun son of John Ouferentun & of Cartheren his wife was baptized.

(Found them in the PR images on ancestry after looking at some online trees.) So the names of the children of John Overington and Catharine seem to match what you have. If only we could find John and Catharine's marriage!

Sussex Maid
07-07-14, 15:01
KiteRunner, thank you for that info.
I have no idea who the wife of William Courtness (and mother of his children) was - this is another marriage I need to find.. Barbarah, the wife mentioned in his Will, was Barbara Merriet and they married 1704.
I had found a Katherine Courtness ba Chiddingfold 1670/1 the daughter of John - I think she is the Katherine Cortne who marries John Rapley in 1691 at Chiddingfold.
Also the son (William) of William Courtness names his second daughter Catherine - Will look for more children of William snr.
The two baptisms at Witley look very promising, I need to be more imaginative when searching - would never have come up with those surnames.
Thank you

Shona
07-07-14, 15:17
There are a series of documents in something called the Woods Collection which is held at Godalming Museum which mention the Courtness family and a widow Vallour. Here's the link:

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=503-pw&cid=1-18-3#1-18-3

A quick look through and I came across these.

Deeds relating to the lands called Dickhurst in Chiddingfold, Surrey, which were settled in 1691 on William Courtnesse of Hurstpierpoint PWD/18 1691-1718

Five deeds and one bond.

Contents:
Deeds relating to of land in Chiddingfold, Surrey, called Dickhurst, containing about 20 acres, bounding on the highway from Combe Common to Haslemere to the south and west, on lands also called Dickhurst, which were in 1691 of the Widow Vallour and in 1717 of Thomas Valler, to the north, and on lands of Henry Gardner to the east.

Marriage settlement of William Courtnesse and Susanna Swaine, both of Hurstpierpoint, Sussex PWD/18/1 18 December 1691

One parchment deed with seal appended.

Contents:
Release (lease missing) between (1) William Courtnesse of Chiddingfold, yeoman, (2) William Marchant of Hurstperpointe [Hurstpierpoint], Sussex, yeoman, and (3) William Courtnesse of Hurstperpointe, mercer, son and heir apparent of the said William Courtnesse, and Susanna Swaine of Hurstperpointe, spinster, of Dickhurst, in the occupation of William Elliott, being the settlement on the marriage of the said William Courtnesse, jnr, and Susanna Swaine.

Lease and release between William and Susanna Courtness of Hurstpierpoint, Sussex, and their sons, and Henry Welland of Witley, Surrey PWD/18/3 17 & 18 March [1718]

Two parchment deeds with 4 seals each, paper deed with 2 seals and paper bond with 3 seals.

Contents:
Lease and release between (1) William Courtness, snr, of Hurstperpoint [Hurstpierpoint], Sussex, mercer, son and heir of William Courtness late of Haslemere, Surrey, yeoman, and Susanna his wife, and John Courtness of Southwarke [Southwark], Surrey, mercer, and William Courtness, jnr, of Southwarke, woollen draper, sons of William Courtness snr, and (2) Henry Welland of Witley, Surrey, yeoman, of Dickhurst, now in the occupation of the said Henry Welland and including a barn built thereon.

With agreement for the sale, 4 December 1717, and bond for quiet possession, 18 March [1718].

Sussex Maid
07-07-14, 15:47
Shona, thank you for that link and information
regards

Phoenix
07-07-14, 17:34
The Hampshire and more particularly the Surrey History Centre's online catalogues have lots of Courtness & Valler references. Unfortunately they only do exact searches, so you have to guess how the nam may have been spelt. Curtnesh looks like one variant.

If you could get to Woking, the manorial documents may well hold clues.

kiterunner
07-07-14, 18:22
Barbara Merriet was a spinster when she married William, so he probably didn't have any stepchildren from his marriage to her, but he could have from his first marriage.

Sussex Maid
08-07-14, 11:57
Thank you for your replies.
Shona/Phoenix - the Nat Archives link and the Surrey catalogue have lots of information which need further investigation and a trip to Woking will be arranged.
Mary/KiteRunner - will contact the owners of the Overington trees on Ancestry and see if they have any more information re John and Katherine.
KiteRunner - re William's first marriage - I have been cross-checking the Courtness burials in Chiddingfold on 'Surrey Burials CD' with the images on Ancestry in the hope of at least finding a first name for his first wife but no luck so far.
regards