PDA

View Full Version : A passenger list from 1851

BlueSavannah
30-06-14, 18:20
Hi,

My greatx3 grandfather Maurice Chryst (Maurycy Christ etc) was a Polish refugee that landed in Liverpool on the 4th March 1851 on board the Aspia. I believe the ship sailed from Constantinople 22nd January 1851.

Would there be any record of the passenger list for this journey anywhere? I am very interested in what variant of his name would be on the list. The 1851 census had him as a Cavalry Man.

I still have no idea where in Poland he was born so I am currently trying to concentrate on finding what I can of him from his arrival in to the UK and him ending up in Sheffield in 1854.

Many thanks :)

garstonite
01-07-14, 08:30
Hiya Claire ...did he marry in Liverpool before he went to Sheffield ?
added....do you have him in 1851 census in Liverpool ??
I have found Crist family in Liverpool in 1861 census - but if he didn`t marry in Liverpool , I presume they are not his family ??

Maurice dies in 1906 june qtr aged 76 in Sheffield ...so he was born 1830 / 31...so he was only 20 /21 when he came to England .in 1851..so I presume he married in Sheffield - but I can`t find his marriage ??

Shona
01-07-14, 09:53
I don't think that passenger records were kept systematically for this period, Claire. As he was cavalry, then there may be some military records that could help.

He appears as 'Chryst, Maurycy' in this:

http://archive.org/stream/pamitnikjeneraa01wysogoog#page/n147/mode/2up

It's the Diary of General Vysotsky, Commander of the Polish Legion at the time of the Hungarian Campaign 1848-1849.

He is listed under the headings: Kawalerya (cavalry) and Wachmistrze (sergeant).

In 1848, the General signed an agreement with the Hungarian Government to form a Polish infantry battalion which consisted of a 2,000 plus foot soldiers and 400 cavalrymen. The Poles who joined the cause were from the region of Galicia.

They took part in the Siege of Arad (in modern-day Romania) in the spring of 1849 and battles at Szolnok (Hungary), Hatvan (Hungary), Tapio Bicske (Hungary) and Isaszeg (Hungary). After the battle of Temesvar (now Timisoara in modern-day Romania), and the surrender of the Hungarians at Vilagos (now Siria, Romania), 800 of the men escaped to Turkey.

Russia and Hungary demanded that the men be deported to those countries. This is what was said by Lord Palmerston about the issue in Parliament on 7 February 1850.

'It is well known, that after the termination of the war in Hungary a very considerable number of persons, Hungarians, Poles, and some Italians, took refuge in the Turkish provinces. A demand was made by the Governments of Austria and Russia on Turkey for the surrender of such of those individuals as were Austrian or Russian subjects. That demand was founded upon the Treaty of Kaimardji with regard to Russia, and upon the Treaty of Belgrade in regard to Austria. The Sultan, feeling that the obligations of hospitality, which are considered even more paramount, if possible, in the East than in any other part of the world, precluded him from complying with that demand; and looking at the terms of the Treaty of Kaimardji, and seeing that he had clearly an alternative, and that the engagement contracted by that treaty permitted him to choose that alternative, he refused to comply with the demand made by Russia of surrendering those individuals, but stated that he was ready to fulfil the other condition of the treaty, namely, that of expelling other individuals, chiefly Poles, from his territory. With regard to the demand of Austria, it certainly did not appear, by the Treaty of Belgrade, that there was any condition which required the Sultan to surrender Austrian subjects who might have sought refuge within his territories; with regard to Austria's demand, therefore, he was still more at liberty to refuse compliance, than 499 he was with respect to the demand made by Russia. The manner in which those demands were made at Constantinople, by the organs of the Russian and Austrian Governments, excited alarm in the Government of Turkey as to the consequences which might follow from a refusal to comply with those demands, even though the Government of Turkey felt that they were not by treaty compelled or liable to comply with them. In that state of things, the Turkish Government turned its eyes to those friendly Powers to whom it might look for support, and an appeal was made to the Government of England, and also to the Government of France, for their friendly support in the critical circumstances in which Turkey might find itself. Her Majesty's Government, acting, as I think they did, in strict unison with the universal feeling of the country as it was manifested on that occasion, determined to give the Sultan the support which he had asked. Friendly representations were made to the Government of Austria and the Government of Russia, explaining the grounds upon which it appeared to Her Majesty's Government that the Sultan was not bound to comply with the demands which had been made.'

This same debate states that while some of the men were born in areas now ruled by Russia, most came from the Province of Galicia.

From The Spectator archive:

A curious contest is going on at Liverpool, over a body of refugees from Hungary, which arrived on Monday last, in the Arpia, a Sardinian merchant-vessel. They are in number 262; of which 10 are natives of Hungary, 5 of Germany, Bohemia, and Italy, 247 of Poland. The Poles are the remnant of the Polish Legion in Hungary under General Wysocki, of whom more than a thousand were confined at Schumla. Among the friends of this residuary band there are two parties,—one wishing them to go on to America; the other wishing them to stop for a limited time in England, in order that they may have a chance of returning to their native country. The American project is favoured by the British Government, which offers to each emigrant a bonus of Si. if he will proceed. It is alleged by the other party, that in this course the British Government is subservient to the Absolutist party on the Continent, which desires that the Poles should be carried off as far as possible. The favourers of the American project have the advantage of constituted authority on their aide; but the opposite party have defeated an attempt to exclude them from access to the exiles.

From the Liverpool Courier

ARRIVAL OF THE HUNGARIAN REFUGEES
On Tuesday, the Sardinian brig Arpia, Captain Bartholletto, arrived in the Mersey with the expected Hungarian refugees. The vessel is direct from Constantinople, and brings 262 passengers. These people are confided to the care of the authorities here, who have made arrangements with Mr. Sabell, of the Emigrant's Home, in Moorfields, to receive them. They will be landed today, and taken to their refuge. Though the vessel which brought them over is small, there has been no sickness on board, and they speak in high terms of the treatment they have met with on the voyage, and also of the conduct of the Turkish people during their stay of eighteen months in that country. They consist chiefly of Poles, mixed with Italians and Hungarians, and they are of all grades in rank. They are exceedingly poor, though healthy and in good spirits. An attempt will be made to further their interests, by opening a subscription in this town, with the object of forwarding them to America. The costumes of the refugees are various, and we believe they will be found to be. a fine set of men. These refugees have appealed to us in distress; they have been unfortunate, but they are brave men, and there can be little doubt that the appeal to English sympathies will be liberally responded to.

The 1851 census shows loads of Polish men at the same address in Liverpool. I wonder if there are any records relating to the Mr Sabell's Emigrants' Home? Also, do you know if Maurice was ever naturalised?

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 10:21
Hi Allan & Shona,

Maurice married in Sheffield at Ecclesall Church on the 16th May 1858 to Helen Beckitt. His name on the marriage certificate was Moritz Christ. He names his father as Philip Christ, Manufacturer. This would tie in with them naming their first child Karol Philip Chryst.

I know he was in Sheffield in 1854 as he is named on an article in a Sheffield newspaper which was written by some of the Polish refugees that had settled there. They had signed their names to the article. He is named as Maurycy Chryst on this article too.

There were some Polish refugee settlers in Sheffield in 1851 and one of them was a witness to Maurice's marriage to Helen. In fact, the marriage had 3 witnesses, all Polish men. I am not convinced that he stayed in Liverpool for much longer after the 1851 census was taken but if he didn't, obviously I don't know if he came straight to Sheffield and why Sheffield.

That document is an excellent find Shona. Again, the name matches how he has written it on the Sheffield newspaper article and he is also listed under the 'cavalry' heading which is what he is given as being on the 1851 census. Many thanks for the write up of the history of that particular battle.

I know from another newspaper article i've read is that all the people on the Aspia from Constantinople were all meant to travel on to America but not many of them actually did.

I would dearly like to know if there are any records relating to Mr Sabell's home. I probably should send an email to Liverpool Library/Archives to ask them about this.

Maurice claimed on the 1901 census that he was a naturalised British subject but I went to Kew about 8 years ago now and they said they could find no record of this. They did say it could have been destroyed but it was more likely it never occurred. He also claimed on this census that he was born in Austria but when you look at the image, it did originally say Poland and then crossed it out. I do believe that must be something to do with the boarder changes around the time of his birth. His birthplace in Poland might have been under Austrian rule at that time.

He would be born circa 1830. He is very consistent with his age on all census/certificates etc.

garstonite
01-07-14, 10:45
Moorfields is still a busy part of Liverpool with a Railway Station there ...if we had a number of Mr Sabells home ??...I will be able to go and have a look next time I am in the City Centre ...
maybe these can help ??
http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/index.html
scroll down to Passenger Lists - then click on Misc 1851
there is a passenger lists for 1851 ...I will let you look first - you may be lucky ...good luck

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 12:17
Allan, it looks like he was Frederick Sabel and the address was 28 Moorfields. These have come up on a few google searches but not yet found him on the census. A lot reference it was a 'Union Hostel/Hotel' and that it was popular with emigrants.

Sadly nothing on that link in reference to Maurycy Chryst.

Shona
01-07-14, 12:27
I don't think that he would have stayed very long at Mr Sabell's. This account from the Montreal Gazette from 25 June 1852 reveals the volume of migrants using the establishment.

THE GERMAN EMIGRATION
The emigration from Liverpool this year, thus far, has exceeded that of any previous year...Last Tuesday the Pelican steamer, from Rotterdam, brought 480 emigrants, the greater portion of whom were accommodated in Mr. Sabell's admirably conducted establishment in Moorfields, and nearly all shipped on Thursday last. On Friday another detachment of 500 arrived by special train from Goole. Today 200 more are expected by the same route; and 300 more are expected by the Pelican. The number for the present month, it is calculated, will reach 15,000.

A great increase of all descriptions of emigrants may, however, be looked for so soon as the rate of passage is reduced to a reasonable limit, by the arrival of the immense quantity of American shipping now long overdue. The greatest amount of emigration was last year in the month of April, when it reached 25,447 persons. The numbers will probably reach that amount in the present month; but if, as is possible, and very probable, the rate of passage is reduced to from £3 to £3 5s, in the course of the next fortnight, the month of May will show, from Liverpool, the greatest Exodus ever experienced in modern history.

Shona
01-07-14, 13:00
Frederick Sabel/Sabell was German and set up the Union Hotel - later the Emigrants Home - at 28 Moorfields. He charged 1s a day for bed (not actually bed, but a space!) and three meals. He set up the home to counter the actions of 'runners' who were fleecing the emigrants.

Interesting account of the home and the one run by Frederick Marshall at Clarence Dock here:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/LANCSGEN/1999-04/0925132820

Shona
01-07-14, 13:03
Claire - who were the three Polish men who were witnesses at Maurice's wedding? You said one of them was already in Sheffield in 1851.

Shona
01-07-14, 13:19
As Maurice may have been from Galicia, you may find this useful:

http://blogs.transparent.com/polish/where-in-the-world-is-galicia/

There is a public tree on Ancestry which claims that Maurice was born in Astripe.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/40784317/person/19891720425?ssrc=

You could try contacting the tree owner to ask where the info came from. You could also post a question on that Where in the World is Galicia? blog, so see if anyone has heard of that place.

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 13:21
Many thanks for the link Shona, a very interesting read :)

The 3 witnesses were Constantine Podoski, Aloys Boberski and Charles H? Bielanski? (that last one was hard to read). Podoski is named in the Northern Star newspaper as one of the settlers in Sheffield in mid 1851. He might have come over on the same ship and left very quickly. Maurycy Chryst wasn't named in the Northern Star newspaper.

It might be worth mentioning that Maurycy's wife Helen had a sister called Elizabeth Beckitt who married a Louis Karpinski. I have no idea if Maurycy and Louis knew each other but I found it interesting that 2 sisters both married Polish gentlemen 3 years apart.

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 13:26
The public tree on Ancestry has been created by a distant relative of a distant relative of mine (if that makes sense lol). I descend from Karol Chryst and my distant relative descends from Constance Chryst, both children of Maurycy Chryst. Most of the information in that tree is what I gave to my distant relative (dates of marriages/deaths/births etc). Anstripe was actually a bad transcription of Austria on a census that we found years ago. Not sure why she's never corrected that.

The other private tree on Ancestry is mine :)

Shona
01-07-14, 14:21
anstripe was actually a bad transcription of austria on a census that we found years ago. Not sure why she's never corrected that.

:d:d:d

Shona
01-07-14, 14:44
Looking at the witnesses to Maurice's wedding, some interesting things emerge.

Constantine Podoski was also in Liverpool in 1851. He and five other 'Polish refugees' were lodging with an Irish provision dealer and his family at 69 Cheapside.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/8860/LANHO107_2179_2179-1410/12820229?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.u k%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3duki1851%26rank%3d 1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-d%26gsfn_x%3dXO%26gsln%3dpodoski%26gsln_x%3dNN%26c pxt%3d1%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3dfpy%26cp%3d11% 26pcat%3d35%26fh%3d0%26h%3d12820229%26recoff%3d7%2 6ml_rpos%3d1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Aloise Bobersk and Charles F Bielanski are recorded at the same address at Nether Green, Upper Hallam, Sheffield, in 1861. The place of birth for both is 'Galicia - Austria - Poland'.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/8767/WRYRG9_3465_3469-0116/11452592?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.u k%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3duki1861%26rank%3d 1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-d%26gsfn%3daloise%26gsfn_x%3dXO%26gsln_x%3dNN%26cp xt%3d1%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3dfpy%26cp%3d11%2 6pcat%3d35%26fh%3d2%26h%3d11452592%26recoff%3d%26m l_rpos%3d3&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

If they are from Galicia and the Cavalry men in the Polish Legion were also from Galicia, this tends to suggest that Maurice was indeed from Galicia.

Galicia (not to be confused with Galicia in northern Spain!) was ruled by Poland and then later by Austria.

I also saw an 1864 marriage notice for Mr Chas Firley Bielanski of Sheffield, second son of Vincent Firley Bielanski, to Christina Szlager, at Sutezyn, Austria Poland.

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 15:11
That 61 census for Aloise & Charles living together as joint heads is very interesting isn't it? I see that Aloise is listed as a Mercantile Clerk which is what Maurycy said he was on his 1858 marriage to Helen. What's betting that the three men were living together before Maurycy married and the other 2 continued to live together after? Maurycy's address wasn't Nether Green though on his marriage. It was King Street which is nearer to the city centre than Fulwood.

The 51 census for Constantine Podoski also interests me. At least 2 of the other refugees with him also came to Sheffield. The 2 are listed with Podoski on the newspaper article later in 1851.

This is looking more and more likely that my Maurycy actually came from Galicia. Not sure how I prove/disprove this but it does explain why on the later censuses, he keeps giving Poland and Austria as his birth place. I don't think he truly knew. He always told family, who passed down to today, that he was Polish.

Where did you see the marriage notice for Chas Firley Bielanski in Sutezyn? I wonder why he married there if he was living in Sheffield?

garstonite
01-07-14, 15:59
Galicia also included the Ukraine...my father in law Osatp Kabluckyj was born in Rohatyn,Ukraine - part of Galicia ...he fought for these in WW2
http://henrypavlovich.com/Waffen-SS-Galizien-Halychyna-Division-and-Other-Pro-Nazi-Forces
SO...is it possible that Maurice may have came from Ukraine ??

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 16:15
If Maurycy was born in Galicia, then I have to consider there is a possibility he was born in the Ukraine but reading up about Galicia (I am embarrassed to admit I knew little about where it was), then around 1830 when Maurycy was born, it seemed to more cover Poland and parts of Hungary/Austria.

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 16:16
I am feeling that it will be even harder to try and locate a baptism/birth for Maurycy if he is indeed born in Galicia as it covers quite a few countries :(

Shona
01-07-14, 16:49
I reckon Bielanski is central to the story.

There are a number of references to him in newspaper archives doing benefit concerts for refugees. In July 1851, Carol Bielanski was performing in Blackburn and in August in Nottingham.

This is from the Manchester Times - 26 November 1851

THE KOSSUTH CONCERT - A concert for the benefit of the unemployed refugees residing in Manchester, who were companions of Louis Kossuth, in Hungary, came off last evening, in the theatre of the Mechanics' Institution, Cooper-street. The conduct of the concert was in the hands of Mr M Conran; the vocalists who contributed to the performances of the evening were Mr Brooke, Mr J W Isherwood, Mr W Pigot, and the members of the Mechanics' Institution Amateur Choral Society, conducted by Mr Hiles; the instrumentalists were Mr M Conran (piano forte), Herr Kugler (violin), and M Bielanski (piano forte), late a student of the University of Lemburg, and one who took part in the Hungarian war, and was a prisoner with Kossuth in Shmula. The services of the whole of these performances were given gratuitously, and at the conclusion of the concert, a vote of thanks was tendered to them with acclamation, on the motion of Mr Robert Romney and M Rakowski...

There is a report in the Huddersfield Chronicle from January 1852 which mentions that Kugler and Bielanski were accompanied by Major Kowalski.

Lemburg, mentioned in that Manchester Times report, is a German name for Lviv - which is in modern-day Ukraine. It was the capital of Galicia.

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 17:06
Thats extremely interesting to read about Bielanski. I thought you might be right about him being central. Herr Kugler would be Charles Kugler who was one of the settlers in Sheffield in 1851 most likely.

I do wonder if most of them were students at the University of Lemburg and ended up fighting in the Hungarian War.

This is the nearest i've ever got to potentially finding a lead for Maurycy's birth place / home town.

Shona
01-07-14, 17:23
Lviv university was shelled by troops in November 1848 and temporarily closed until January 1850.

BlueSavannah
01-07-14, 19:21
Thanks Shona for that info :)

garstonite
01-07-14, 20:22
How nice ...Old Mersey Times have sent me a reply to my e mail
he was born in 1830 in Poland and was aged 21 in Cherry Lane

This is the entry for 1851 census at 20 Cherry Lane
First name(s) Moris Last name Christ Relationship to household head -
Marital condition Unmarried Gender Male Age 21 Birth year 1830 Occupation
Sergant Caval Birth place (other) Poland Birth place - Birth town - Birth
county - House number - House name - Street Cherry Lane Parish Liverpool
City or borough Liverpool Town Liverpool County Lancashire Country England
Ecclesiastical disctrict St Bartholomew Parliamentary borough Liverpool
Municipal ward Liverpool Registration district Liverpool Enumeration
district 1t Series HO107 Piece number 2178 Folio 589 Page 41 Record set
1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Category Census, land & surveys
Record collection Census Collections from Great Britain
I have the other occupants at this address all soldiers and born Poland etc
I presume you have the newspapers cuttings
Regards
Jane
is this the info you have Claire ?...and why would a 21 year old Cavalry Sergeant be HEAD of the household ...probably his Rank ??...sure there would be older men than Maurice / Moris there
ADDED...Cherry Lane is quite a distance from Liverpool City Centre and is in quite a nice area ??? I wonder how they got that house ??...

garstonite
01-07-14, 20:45
Lviv university was shelled by troops in November 1848 and temporarily closed until January 1850.

my father in law was born 37 miles from Lviv ...that is where the Rohatyn birth registrations are kept ...

I have just checked Cherry Lane , St Bartholomew Parish - and it is the one I thought - in quite a nice area ...but ...1851 ???...may not have been like that then ...

BlueSavannah
02-07-14, 06:21
Hi Allan,

Yes I had the 1851 census information for Maurycy. He isn't the head of the household, that's James Wolynis? aged 43. Maurycy (Moris on this census) was on page 3 of the names. The address was 20 Cherry Lane.

Knowing nothing at all about Liverpool, the information about the areas these addresses are in is appreciated :)

Shona
02-07-14, 09:44
Ah-ha! I was looking at all those Polish-born soldiers in the 1851 census and who should turn up on the first page? A certain Charles Bulanski, 21, sergeant, infantry. So Charles B and Maurice C stayed at Mr Sabell's Emigrants' home in Liverpool on their arrival in England. Then they lived at the same place in 1851.

BlueSavannah
02-07-14, 10:43
Ah, there he is. Because I hadn't taken that much notice of the witnesses to his marriage before, I hadn't looked for Charles on either census. So its very likely that after their time in Liverpool, Charles & Maurice will have travelled to Sheffield together. I do wonder how they knew Constantine Podoski (who appears sometimes i've noticed as Leon Constantia Podoski) who was lodging at a different place on the 51 census and was in Sheffield by May 1851 according to a newspaper article. I do wonder how long after the 51 census Charles & Maurice came to Sheffield.

Although i've just relooked at the 1854 newspaper article I have for the Polish refugees in Sheffield and Maurice & Constantine are listed but Charles is not. Neither is Aloys Boberski.

Shona
02-07-14, 18:22
Claire, I've found two newspaper articles - actually both very long letters from the Polish community in Sheffield. The first one was in the Northern Star on 9 November 1851 and the other (the one you have referred to?) was in the Sheffield Independent on 27 May 1854.

The two letters confirm that the men had been exiled in Turkey before coming to England in 1851.

The 1851 letter states that shortly after their arrival in Liverpool, people formed committees to support the refugees. One such committee was set up in Sheffield and the committee applied for 28 of the refugees.

The letters is signed by the following 28 men - I assume the 28 that they committee applied for. Some of the names are faint, so there may be transcription errors.

Severyn Czarwinski
Stanislaus Czarwinski
Wm Domkowicz
Herman Fi?bek
Louis Galecko
Valentine Gladycz
Julian Goraczko
Antoni Halski
Albin Hiawaty
Jasper Kalinoski
Leon Klem
Ferdinand Kowalski
Alexander Krzyzarowski
Charles Kugler
Ladislaus Lysowaki
Maximilliam Meux
John Mularski
Sebastian Nachman
Peter Ortynski
John Podinbiski
Albert Podorodecki
John Podoski
Simeon Rejowski
Jacon Skromaczewski
Fortunat Strowski
John Szuryn
Felix Terlecki
Peter Terlecki

The 1854 letter says that on 10 March 1851, just days after they landed in Liverpool, their 'worthy friend' W T Linton came from Cumberland to support them, help them to find work and to make sure that they weren't sent to America.

This letter was also signed by 28 Polish men - Maurice included. Some of the names are the same as the letter of 1851.

There is a typo in the letter from the refugees. W T Linton is actually William James Linton, a chartist. You will find a number of references to his work online.

One account says that in 1851, he organised relief and employment for Hungarian and Polish refugees landing in Liverpool and that he twice frustrated attempts by the Government to persuade the refugees to sail the United States.

Linton argued this would sever links with the republican struggle and those who had already gone to America had trouble finding work.

Linton was secretary and treasurer of the Shilling Find for refugges. He hoped that the 4,600 Chartists still active would contribute to the fund, but it never raised enough to cover the costs of helping to support the 500 refugees Linton had on his books. Joseph Cowen - a Newcastle based industrialist - covered most of the costs.

Tyne and Wear Archives have quite a lot on Cowen - including items on the Polish refugees in Sheffield, which look interesting.

http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/DServe2/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=NaviTree.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqItem=DF.COW/A&dsqField=RefNo

There are connections with a man named Peter Stuart, a Liverpool shipowner, who met William James Linton in 1849.

Peter Stuart found one group of refugees accommodation in a disused soap factory and supplied them with food and money while local people brought them water and straw to sleep on.

BlueSavannah
02-07-14, 19:34
Hi Shona,

Yes those are the 2 newspaper articles that i've referred to. I am interested in that some of the names are different 4 years apart. I wish I had the time to try and work out what became of each of the men.

That link is really interesting and wish I was able to view those documents relating to Cowen. He seems to have been very closely connected to the Polish Legion.

I wonder why these men were interested in the Polish refugees. Cheap labour maybe?

Shona
03-07-14, 06:58
Some more info about the arrival of the Poles in Liverpool.

Mr Linton says:

"On reaching the Mersey their vessel was boarded by a Mr. Diosy, a Hungarian and emigration agent, deputed by the Literary Society of the Friends of Poland, with the object of persuading the refugees to accept a free passage to America, offered them by the British Government as the best means of getting rid of them. The Poles, already in communication with their countryman, Mr. Worcell, the chief of the Polish Emigration, refused to be so deported. Worcell had come from London to meet them, and I had joined him to be of what service I could to him and them. I tried to make interest for them, and called upon Robertson Gladstone, James Martineau, and other prominent men in Liverpool, but without effect. We then appealed to a public meeting ; with difficulty found an 'influential' chairman, and put the case before the meeting of nearly all working-men. In spite of some 'respectable' opposition, in spite of false statements circulated through the Liverpool Press, the meeting was successful ; working-men came forward, offering individual help : one man would take to his home and care for one of the refugees ; another man would take one more, and a committee was formed for further combined efforts.

"At first the strangers were lodged in a house allowed them by the Authorities ; but they were quickly informed that they would be ejected unless they accepted the Government terms. On the 12th of March, two days after our public meeting (they only landed on the 4th) they were accordingly turned into the streets. One generous man, Mr. Peter Stuart, a Liverpool merchant, was found to get them admission to an unused soap-factory, or they would have been houseless. My poor friend Worcell was too feeble from sickness to do more than direct, and I had to act for him, with the aid of a young Pole, who spoke French but could not speak or understand English. The soap-factory was in a back street in Liverpool, the room large enough, but quite bare, up a narrow flight of stairs. A rough crowd surrounded the door at the foot of the stairs as two hundred and thirty men passed in. An active friend, a Liverpool man, and an old chartist, got them a supply of straw, but there was no water in the place. I appealed to the crowd. 'What will you pay ?' 'Nothing,' explaining the circumstances, 'and you must bring your own pails.' 'I will,' said one woman in the crowd. 'I will,' said another. So we got water enough, allowing the bringers to go up-stairs to look at the strangers, which seemed to be considered a reward. At midnight, before leaving for home, I took a last look at the two hundred and thirty lying in rows on the floor, with one sentinel walking to and fro among them, so that no one should come in. So I left them to the action of the Committee on the morrow. Mr. Stuart sent them £50 and gifts of vegetables, etc."

BlueSavannah
03-07-14, 12:26
That's a sad read Shona :( Knowing my greatx3 grandfather was one of those men is quite upsetting. Didn't have a great start to adulthood, in war and then possibly a prisoner of war in Turkey before arriving here to this. Hard to think I wouldn't exist if he had been forcibly moved on to America.

tenterfieldjulie
03-07-14, 21:42
You could consider this though Claire. If he stayed in Poland he would have been lucky to survive the nightmares of WWII. I have a friend whose parents were Polish and just survived the war before they emigrated to Aus. How your ancestor began in England, was luxury to what would have happened to him 100 years later if he was in Europe. He would also be delighted that how hard he fought to survive, was rewarded by the life his descendants now live in the UK. Part of my enjoyment of studying my genealogy, is appreciation of how my ancestors worked, traveled, faced tragedy and calamaties, wars etc so that I have a life with so many freedoms and opportunities. Julie

garstonite
04-07-14, 05:50
You could consider this though Claire. If he stayed in Poland he would have been lucky to survive the nightmares of WWII. I have a friend whose parents were Polish and just survived the war before they emigrated to Aus. How your ancestor began in England, was luxury to what would have happened to him 100 years later if he was in Europe. He would also be delighted that how hard he fought to survive, was rewarded by the life his descendants now live in the UK. Part of my enjoyment of studying my genealogy, is appreciation of how my ancestors worked, traveled, faced tragedy and calamaties, wars etc so that I have a life with so many freedoms and opportunities. Julie

How very very true Julie....my father in law was born in the Ukraine - Oppressed by the Russians - fought in WW2 for the Germans against Russia - then went to Italy - was shot in Italy - came to England as a POW in 1946...died aged 40 and was never a well man ...if he hadn`t have gone through all that trauma , I would never have had my 7 beautiful grandchildren .....fact ....so you are so right in your belief....and I totally agree with you

BlueSavannah
04-07-14, 06:17
Totally agree with both of you Julie & Allan.

Maurice/Maurycy became a Steelworks Manager by the time he died so he did well for himself once he arrived in Sheffield and made his life there.

Shona
04-07-14, 09:05
Thank you, Claire, for sharing Maurice's story. I have found it fascinating finding out about him and the times in which he lived.

The young Galicians who volunteered to join the Polish Legion to support the Hungarians Revolution in a bid to free Hungary from the rule of the Austrian Hapsburgs come over as idealists to me - a bit like those who enlisted with the International Brigades to fight in the Spanish civil war. From what I've been reading, I don't think that the 800 who fled to the safety in Turkey after Hungary surrendered were prisoners of war.

The insight into people's attitudes towards immigrants and refugees in the 1850s is intriguing - not much different from today. Some championed their cause and wanted them to stay; others wanted them to leave.

Thank again, Claire.

I wonder if someone could translate that diary about the Polish Legion.

BlueSavannah
04-07-14, 09:34
Thank you too Shona for all the help you've given with the reports etc you've found. I thought the Bielinski man had been a prisoner because of something in one of the articles about him. I may have read it wrong.

I thought the same about peoples' opinions of refugees/immigrants back then. It wasn't easy reading about the part where they brought water just to stare at them like they were some show.

I still am no closer to finding Maurice's birth/baptism but I feel thanks to the help on this thread, like I know him much more.

Thank you again :)

garstonite
04-07-14, 20:31
quote - "I still am no closer to finding Maurice's birth/baptism but I feel thanks to the help on this thread, like I know him much more. "
we all do ...a really interesting thread ....