PDA

View Full Version : it doesn't work, does it?

Kit
24-06-14, 04:16
A while back Janet found me some information on my John Taylor which has been very helpful. As things go I struck a brick wall and am now looking at it again.

John Taylor and Hannah Hall had 6 children as documented in a book. My problem is that I can not find baptisms for 3 of them. I'm searching for daughter Elizabeth and thought I had found it.

Elizabeth daughter of John Taylor living in Lady Lane, baptised 1808. Sounds wonderful as John gave a property in Lady Lane to Elizabeth and her second husband. The problem is that the baptism is only 2 years before Elizabeth's second marriage and after her first marriage. Her first husband had died shortly before the baptism.

Is it likely it could have happened this way?

kiterunner
24-06-14, 06:56
It would be likely to give her age or date of birth or to say "adult baptism". What town and county are we talking about?

Merry
24-06-14, 07:06
Have you looked at further pages of entries written by the same person to see if any others give further information?

JBee
24-06-14, 08:54
I had that problem with my Shaw line.

I could find some of the children's baptisms but not others. Then I realised that the ones I couldn't find were the children of the second wife and her first husband William Rankin so were baptised with his surname.

marquette
24-06-14, 09:45
If she was baptised after her first marriage, wouldn't it have been under her married name, and not recorded her father's name ?

kiterunner
24-06-14, 09:48
If she was baptised after her first marriage, wouldn't it have been under her married name, and not recorded her father's name ?

I don't think so.

Kit
24-06-14, 11:56
This is in Leeds, St Peter's church in 1808.

Merry, no I didn't deliberately check but I didn't notice anything on the page while searching for the entry.

It had Persons name, fathers name, abode, date of birth (eg 2 Sep), date of baptism (27) and ministers name.

I would have thought it would give her year of birth if it wasn't the current year. I haven't come across any other births at that address but i did stop once I realised she must have been too old.

I have managed to find one of the other missing baptisms. My problem is that the parents (John Taylor - Hannah Hall) were married 1881 but the first known child is not born until 1791. The 4 children baptised between 1791 and 1801 were all at Union St, which is where I know John lived later in life. I'm missing Elizabeth and Sarah. I have no information on Sarah at all, except that she existed.

kiterunner
24-06-14, 12:50
If you look at the previous page, there are some dates of birth in 1796, 1798, 1800, and so on, so if Elizabeth was not born in 1808, yes, it would show her year of birth.

Janet
25-06-14, 00:54
A while back Janet found me some information on my John Taylor which has been very helpful.

I eventually bought the book. It is:

Men, women and property in England, 1780-1870:
a social and economic history of family strategies amongst the Leeds middle classes
by R J Morris
Men, Women and Property in England, 1780-1870 (http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=9780521838085&qt=owc_search)

I've PMd everyone who's come on this thread so far with the relevant pages in case you're interested (4 pages of text plus a neighborhood map). Anyone else who wants a look, just holler.

EDIT: If the type in the PM is too small for your eyes, right-click on the image and Open image in a new tab. That will take you to Photobucket where you will then be able to see it larger.

Kit
25-06-14, 02:22
If you look at the previous page, there are some dates of birth in 1796, 1798, 1800, and so on, so if Elizabeth was not born in 1808, yes, it would show her year of birth.

:(:( back to the drawing board.

There are some possible John Taylor's early on 1780's that didn't live in Union St but I thought I had ruled them out as they were having children after 1791 when he was in Union St. Will have to double check.

I feel something must have happened in the first 10 years of marriage but possibly there were miscarriages. Possibly as their prospects 'improved' the children survived?

Kit
25-06-14, 02:25
I eventually bought the book.

I've PMd everyone who's come on this thread so far with the relevant pages in case you're interested (4 pages of text plus a neighborhood map). Anyone else who wants a look, just holler.

Thank you so much for the PM Janet. It is very interesting seeing how and where the family lived. John jr was my direct ancestor.