PDA

View Full Version : Why it pays to chase up everyone

Nell
21-06-14, 13:09
Often we find clues to our ancestors by following up other family - siblings, aunts, uncles, in-laws etc.

I was just tidying up ex's tree and realised I didn't have 1891 census info for his great-great aunt Eliza. Well, I found her living in 86 Charles Street, Stepney. Interesting because ex's direct ancestor, his maternal grandfather, William Sidney Carter, was born in 1894 at 85 Charles Street. Suggestively, Sidney is NOT a Carter family name, but Gt x 2 Aunt Eliza's had a son called Sidney.

So I now have an idea why William's father moved to Stepney and why they chose their son's middle name.

Asa
22-06-14, 06:10
I always chase up everyone because I don't know when to stop but you're right - yesterday I found a first cousin several times removed who I assumed had gone to the US with her parents and siblings but was just mistranscribed and with a great aunt.

marquette
22-06-14, 09:46
I found many cross-links by following just about everyone I could, like Asa I don't know when to stop - usually only when the information dries up, or is too hard to discern the correct individual.

I found some really useful information by following up someone mentioned in a Will, and it led all the way back to a baptism for my 4xg grandmother, who in fact, married her cousin, 4x g grandfather !

Merry
22-06-14, 09:52
I found many cross-links by following just about everyone I could, like Asa I don't know when to stop - usually only when the information dries up, or is too hard to discern the correct individual.

Same here!