PDA

View Full Version : Findmypast has bought Origins.net (British Origins)

kiterunner
17-06-14, 18:00
Just seen this on some blogs - not sure why they say FMP has bought it rather than brightsolid has? But anyway, it seems to be true. Should be good news as FMP will be copying Origins' databases onto the FMP site and therefore we will be able to search them using the FMP search - and whatever you think of FMP's new search, it has to be better than the Origins one!

http://www.genealogyblog.com/?p=32534

maggie_4_7
17-06-14, 18:20
That is true regarding Origins but the new FMP search is abysmal in fact its nearly useless.

maryphil
17-06-14, 18:48
I agree Maggie, I can never use FMP. They used to give access to Origins if you were an SOG member, don't know if they still do that. Origins search is abysmal as well.
Went to a conference the other week and most of the speakers were recommending a2a, hardly anyone in the audience had ever used it. I find myself referring to the N.A. website a lot these days, especially for wills. Then I download them from Ancestry.

ElizabethHerts
17-06-14, 18:53
I'm making progress with the new FMP search and am beginning to see the benefits, but it is taking a while for the tweaks to be made.

Lindsay
17-06-14, 18:55
I actually like the new FMP search now I'm used to it.

It's not perfect but I didn't have any problems finding what I needed in the new Devon records.

kiterunner
17-06-14, 19:11
I always find that I think of something I would like to look up on Origins just after one of those short-term subs has expired (I take one out every so often, maybe once a year) so I will be glad to see the databases on FMP. I find it's useless using Origins' free search to try to find out whether they have what you want before paying for a sub.

They have some of the censuses; I wonder what FMP will do with their census indexes, if anything.

kiterunner
17-06-14, 22:18
There is an announcement on FMP's site now (and I see that they also refer to Findmypast, not Brightsolid, as the company which has bought Origins.net)

http://blog.findmypast.co.uk/2014/findmypast-buys-origins-net/

Phoenix
17-06-14, 22:18
I'm not sure that fmp & Origins weren't using the same transcripts for 1871 at least.

It will be interesting to see whether some data providers who went with Origins rather than FMP will let their indexes be transferred.

Merry
18-06-14, 06:45
Looking forward to this. There are a lot of things on Origins I would like to look at, but have never got round to buying a short sub, because I'm not organised enough to have plenty of lookups ready at once.

I can't say I'm having problems with fmp search now I've got used to it. I find I'm using their site more and more, but only if I know I won't find something on ancestry.

Kit
19-06-14, 09:46
Well I hope it is soon because I've been thinking of getting a short sub. Will safe me the hassle.

Kit
19-06-14, 10:22
Just received this from Origins. ALL records are coming over.

Dear Origins customer,
We’re sending you this email to let you know that Origins has been purchased by Findmypast. Genealogy is all about family and we’ve now become part of a larger one, which means great things for both you as an Origins customer and for family history!
All of the records currently on Origins will over time be made available on Findmypast and we’d like to reassure you that you will still be able to enjoy researching your family history with Origins

ElizabethHerts
19-06-14, 10:56
It will be great to have the wills on FMP.

Merry
19-06-14, 12:08
It will be great to have the wills on FMP.

Agreed! :):):)

Kit
19-06-14, 12:19
Yes it will. That was what my sub was going to be for.