PDA

View Full Version : NY Times front page today: New York's Cardinal John O'Connor was Jewish

Janet
11-06-14, 15:44
This morning's New York Times brings a front-page genealogy story that I find very interesting indeed, especially in the light of some others' research here into their Jewish roots:

The Rabbi O’Connor Never Knew: His Grandfather (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/nyregion/cardinal-john-joseph-oconnor-jewish-mother-genealogy.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3Aw)

maggie_4_7
11-06-14, 16:00
Well being Jewish isn't a religion I know some Jewish people that are atheists and Christians it's a race an ethnic race.

Janet
11-06-14, 16:28
Well being Jewish isn't a religion I know some Jewish people that are atheists and Christians it's a race an ethnic race.

Absolutely true, Maggie, including a rather outsize proportion of the friends I hold most dear. I in no way want to sensationalize the subject; hope you didn't see it that way. I was taken with the story, though, as it's not often I find Ancestry.com on the front page of my daily newspaper. Apparently his sister received a gift subscription a couple years ago and the story unfolded from there. I think it's actually a very good illustration of exactly what you said.

Olde Crone
11-06-14, 19:06
Isn't the Archbishop of Canterbury (Justin Welby) also of Jewish extraction - he ddn't know either.

OC

Shona
11-06-14, 19:35
Isn't the Archbishop of Canterbury (Justin Welby) also of Jewish extraction - he ddn't know either.

OC

Paternal grandfather.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9716357/Jews-who-fled-the-Nazis-secrets-of-Justin-Welbys-family-tree.html

Janet
11-06-14, 23:27
Oh, that's right. Thanks OC and Shona. I had a feeling there was something else scratching at the back of my brain, and that Telegraph article actually gives a lot more detail than what I read a year and a half ago so I'm glad to catch up with it. Very interesting. Thank you.

maggie_4_7
12-06-14, 07:13
Absolutely true, Maggie, including a rather outsize proportion of the friends I hold most dear. I in no way want to sensationalize the subject; hope you didn't see it that way. I was taken with the story, though, as it's not often I find Ancestry.com on the front page of my daily newspaper. Apparently his sister received a gift subscription a couple years ago and the story unfolded from there. I think it's actually a very good illustration of exactly what you said.

No I didn't think that Janet but it is surprising some people do get very confused over the jewish race and religion.