PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Q about the NBI

Merry
01-06-14, 18:44
If I'm looking at NBI entries prior to 1752 for Jan-March what do I assume about the year given? (if anything!!).

kiterunner
01-06-14, 18:47
FMP says that "The burial records are derived from parish registers, bishops’ transcripts, earlier transcripts or printed registers by local family history society volunteers."

My guess would be that some years have been "corrected" and others not, but that is just a guess.

Merry
01-06-14, 19:01
I had a bad feeling that would be the case!! lol

Never mind, I should be grateful to have found something useful that far back for a change.

Thanks Kate.

Phoenix
01-06-14, 19:07
We are taught when transcribing to enter everything as written and not interpret. Unlike any modern history book you pick up. However, that is not to say that some people don't think they know better, or that the clergymen don't occasionally throw a wobbly themselves.

WendyPusey
01-06-14, 19:09
1752 was the year the Calendar was changed.

September 1752, Great Britain switched from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar. In order to achieve the change, 11 days were 'omitted' from the calendar - i.e. the day after 2 September 1752 was 14 September 1752.

Olde Crone
01-06-14, 20:41
Phoenix

I have seen at least one clergyman who either didn't know the calendar had changed, or thought it didn't apply to HIM. Records are out for at least 7 years after the change! (and yes, various helpful transcribers have corrected the year, more than once!)

OC

Phoenix
01-06-14, 21:51
OC, Given the number of clergymen who clearly thought recording father's names on marriage registers a gross invasion of privacy, I can well believe it. And you get the handful who thought the year always had started in January.

I'm running amok in Devon records at the moment and battling with my stupid fh program. I end up doing the dates new style so nobody has the misfortune of dying before they were born, but noting the true date unambiguously.

Uncle John
03-06-14, 21:04
FTM helpfully (!!!) puts in a double year for this period.