PDA

View Full Version : Help with Latin probate clause, please

ElizabethHerts
31-05-14, 14:34
I have been transcribing yet another will for OH's Prentis family.

It is on Ancestry:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/5111/40611_310636-00313/770314?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk% 2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dCanturburyPrerogativeCourt%26 rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26so%3d3%26MSAV%3d0%26msT%3d1%2 6gss%3dms_db%26gsfn%3dEdward%26gsln%3dPrentis%26ui dh%3dxt1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults#?imageId=40611_31063 6-00314

The link should give the second page of the will with the probate clause.

The parish registers haven't been much help for the baptisms of this family as they fell mainly in the Commonwealth period.

As far as I can see from the will, Edward had a wife Ann, eldest son Edward, another son, Thomas, a daughter who married Mr Prior, and a grandson John Prior, and another daughter Ann, all living in 1690.

The will was proved in 1699.

I have found out that the unnamed daughter was Etheldreda who married John Prior. They lived at Aston in Hertfordshire.

Edward Prentis senior was buried 8th March 1698. (Pauls Walden)
Ann his wife was buried 11th January 1716.
However, another Edward was buried - 5th November 1694.

There is also a burial for a Thomas Prentis in in 1692. But there is a family for a Thomas Prentis up to 1700.

This is the probate clause:

Decimo quinto die Mensis Decembris Anno Domini
millesimo sexcentesimo nonagesimo nono emanavit Comissio Thoma Prentis
Filio n[atu]rali et l[egit]imo et Legatario nominato in Testamento Eduardi Prenis
Sen’ nuper de Pauls Walden in Cone’ Hertfordia defuncti ha[ben]tis &c ad
Adm[ini]strand’ bona iura et credita dicti defuncti iuxta tenorem et effectum
Testamenti ipsius defuncti (eo quod Eduardus Prentis Filius et Exectuor
in vita Testatoris mortem obiit) de bene et fidel[ite]r Adm[ini]strando eadem ad
sancta die Evangelia jurat Anna Prentis Relicta dicti Eduardi Prentis
/en/ defti Lrie Adm ?(superscript) ejus bonoru[m] cum ejus Testamento annexo prius
renunciante

(I had trouble with the last couple of lines.)

I have interpreted it as saying that Edward junior had died and Thomas is now responsible for administering the will, and that Ann Prentis has renounced her right to administer it.

Could I please have comments?

kiterunner
31-05-14, 18:24
I think you have it right, Elizabeth.

ElizabethHerts
31-05-14, 18:26
Thanks, Kate. My Latin is rather rusty but I am getting better at interpreting these clauses. Usually they don't tell you much, but this one is quite significant.