PDA

View Full Version : Battell confusion

ElizabethHerts
27-05-14, 13:41
I have William Battell of Welwyn, Hertfordshire. He made a will in 1643 and was buried in 1643 at Welwyn.

This is his will:
William Battell
Welwyn
tanner
filed will
inventory 11HW26

I have transcribed it.
His wife is Sara.
Children: William, Sara and Joane.
Father in law: Thomas Huckle
Mother: Lucey (as clear as day)

There is also a codicil poorly written on the cover which mentions his sister Elizabeth and his father's will. He says his father was William. The codicil is crossed through several times.

I have a William at Welwyn with the following children:
William 1814 (who I hope is this man)
Luce 1623
Jesper 1626
Elizabeth 1629

Problem: I can't find a marriage between a William Battell and a Luce/Lucy.
There is a marriage between William Battell and Joan Wilshire at Kimpton in 1612, and it is this marriage which people attribute to the father.

In 1639 there is a burial for Joane Battell,the wife of William.
There is no indication of William being dead - she isn't referred to as a widow.

I'm going round in circles here as I can't find a will for a William Battell before 1643 and I can't find a marriage with a Lucey. I started with Welwyn but have drawn a blank with other parishes too.

kiterunner
27-05-14, 13:58
Does he definitely mean his own mother when he says Lucey, or could it be his mother-in-law?

kiterunner
27-05-14, 14:02
Oh, there is a marriage on Hertfordshire Names Online 2 Jan 1640 at Wheathampstead: William Battle married Luce Prentice. So could he mean stepmother when he says mother?

ElizabethHerts
27-05-14, 14:06
Does he definitely mean his own mother when he says Lucey, or could it be his mother-in-law?

That's what I'm asking myself, Kate.

I've made out a little more of the codicil and "Jesp Battell his sonne" is mentioned (so brother of the testator).

ElizabethHerts
27-05-14, 14:12
Oooh, I think you might have cracked it, Kate!

I have just made out "Luce Prentis" in the codicil!!

It is all very interconnected as William and Joane are OH's 10x-great-grandparents.
Then there is their son William who married Sarah Huckle (the will here).

They had a son, William, in 1640. He married Ann Prentis/Prentice in 1664 and I have got a big tree for her, back to OH's 12x-great-grandparents.

I would LOVE to find the will of William Battell mentioned in the codicil. It's a very tight time frame.

He married Luce Prentice in 1640 and must have been dead by 3rd January 1643!