PDA

View Full Version : Nottinghamshire PRs look-up request

Mary from Italy
23-11-09, 16:23
Could anyone kindly do me a look-up in the Notts PR's?

I'm looking for the baptism of Elizabeth Oliver, born c. 1824 in Elston, Notts, according to the censuses.

I've checked the IGI, Pallots, Bivri and FreeReg, and can't find anything obvious.

She isn't the daughter of Thomas Oliver (lace manufacturer) and Mary baptised at the Halifax and Hockley Wesleyan Chapel on 14 Feb 1824 , because that Elizabeth's still with her parents in 1851, whereas the one I want was married by then.

FreeReg does have a baptism in Newark in 1819, parents Joseph and Sarah, but I'm a bit dubious about it.

Many thanks to anyone who has time to have a look.

Mary

kiterunner
23-11-09, 18:18
The IGI on FamilySearch does have the Elston baptisms for that period, but I suppose it's possible she's been missed out. I'll have a look next time I'm at the archives. What does it say for her father's name and occupation on her marriage certificate?

Mary from Italy
23-11-09, 18:37
Thanks Kite - I don't have her marriage cert yet, I'm just about to send off for it. Oliver's the maiden name given on the birth cert of the first child.

Don't spend time trawling through baptisms at the moment, at least until I get the marriage cert with the father's name. I seem to remember that a couple of people have Notts PR CDs, so I just wondered if a quick search might find her.

I've had a look for her in 1841 (she married in 1846), but the most likely candidate is a servant, not living with relatives.

kiterunner
23-11-09, 18:59
If someone finds a baptism though, you won't know for sure whether it's the right Elizabeth Oliver or not until you have the marriage cert, will you?

WendyPusey
23-11-09, 19:11
I've looked at my Nottingham CDs but none come up for the dates given.

Mary from Italy
23-11-09, 21:54
OK, thanks very much, Wendy.

I was hoping to make some progress in the meantime, but I'll wait for the marriage cert now before going any further.

Mary from Italy
27-03-10, 12:08
Just remembered that I never followed up on this thread.

Elizabeth was of "full age" when she married in Flintham in 1846. The father named on her marriage cert is Thomas Oliver, horse breaker. I've found him on the censuses, and he married an Elizabeth Tuckwood in Ab Kettleby in 1816.

Thomas Oliver was born in Cowthorpe, Yorkshire and Elizabeth Tuckwood in Ab Kettleby, Leicestershire.

They had 6 children that I know of (information from censuses):
Elizabeth, born Elston, Nottinghamshire c. 1824
Jane, born Nottinghamshire, c 1830
George, born Elston, Nottinghamshire, c 1832
Sarah, born Melton, Leicestershire, c 1836 (baptism found on IGI)
Alfred, born Syerston, Nottinghamshire, c 1841 (baptism found on IGI)
Ann, born Flintham, Nottinghamshire, c. 1844

Although I'm pretty sure I have the right parents, because I've found Thomas the horse breaker and his wife on the censuses, I still haven't found a baptism for their daughter Elizabeth.

Could anyone with access to the PRs kindly have a look for her with this new information?

I see on the IGI that there are a few baptisms in Gringley on the Hill, Notts, for children of Thomas and Elizabeth Oliver between the date of the marriage and Elizabeth's birth - I suppose it might be worth checking those to see if his occupation is given. Gringley is conveniently situated between Cowthorpe and Flintham.

Mary from Italy
27-03-10, 12:17
Just found the following additional baptisms with parents Thomas and Elizabeth Oliver (though I'd checked Leics., but evidently not):

William baptised in Ab Kettleby in 1816 (on the same day as his parents wedding :) )
George baptised in Melton, Leics. in 1817 (buried in Ab Kettleby 1818, abode Melton Mowbray)
John baptised in Ab Kettleby in 1818.

I imagine they all belong to this couple (Melton Mowbray is very close to Ab Kettleby, and another sister was also baptised there), which almost certainly rules out the Gringley baptisms, although there's still a gap between 1818 and c. 1824.

WendyPusey
27-03-10, 12:17
Nothing on the CDs for your family Mary.

The Gringley on the Hill family have father's occupation as labourer and boatman.

Mary from Italy
27-03-10, 13:04
Thanks very much for trying, Wendy. At least I know I can rule out the Gringley bunch.

Can I bother you to check somebody else for me? I've just noticed on the NBI that there's a burial in St. Peter's, Nottingham on 31/10/1814 for a Jonathan Mallet, aged 3. It's a very unusual name, and all the ones I've found so far have been related to me, but they were all from Staffordshire. Could you check to see if there's a baptism around 1811? I'm curious to know who the parents are.

Mary from Italy
27-03-10, 13:17
Sorry, forget that - I've just realised I already have that Jonathan, and he is one of mine.

WendyPusey
27-03-10, 13:18
Sorry Mary, nothing for Jonathan Mallet either.

Don't think the CDs are complete.

Mary from Italy
27-03-10, 13:28
Actually he is there (see my previous post) - it was you who found him in the first place ;(

Son of Henry and Sarah, but spelled Mallett.

WendyPusey
27-03-10, 13:43
Ooops so he is.:(:(