PDA

View Full Version : London Parish Record query

geniebug
18-05-14, 21:41
I have a very old parish record (I suppose that's what it is) of the death of my ancestor Abraham Gorringe (spelt on the record as Gorange). I am sure I did ask if anyone could tell me what TG5 3/4 and Nt - and NG 6 means but it escapes me at the moment.

We have found that Thackums Court is in London. My next query is - in all of London, what parish would this be? Would it be St Martin in the Field?

ElizabethHerts
18-05-14, 21:50
Is this your ancestor?
Disregard the age because no age is indicated in the register.

Westminster Burials Transcription
Print this page View image
First Name ABRAHAM
Last Name GORANGE
Year 1776
Burial Month Aug
Burial Day 7
Age 0
Year Of Birth 1776
Place ST MARTIN IN THE FIELDS
Parish St Martin In The Fields
Day Of Death -
Month Of Death -
-
Father's First Name -
Husband First Name -
County Middlesex
Record set Westminster Burials
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Record collection Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain

You were correct about the parish.

geniebug
18-05-14, 21:51
I have a very old parish record (I think) which shows my ancestors death (Abraham Gorringe, tho Gorange in the record) I did ask once before if anyone know what the abbreviations meant, but it escapes me at the moment - for instance NG, TG6 Is it "no grave" "t grave" or something but then why 5 3/4 - their height? lol I am sure I am wrong - then there is NOG mason?

Anyway, the main reason is to find out what the title of the Parish Record is. We do know that Thackums Ct (Court) is in London. We are also trying to work out the date of death, one says the 7th, one says the 10th. Is it St Martin in the Field, or something else?

ElizabethHerts
18-05-14, 21:52
Ancestry has this, no more details:

Name: Abraham Gorange
Burial Date: 7 Aug 1776
Burial Place: Westminster, Middlesex, England
FHL Film Number: 1866644

geniebug
18-05-14, 22:07
Wow Elizabeth, that's the quickest reply I've ever had! lol

I had forgotten to include the document with the abbreviations on, but will do that now.

Thank you sooo much :)

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/joody_anne/Abrahamsdeath.jpg

kiterunner
18-05-14, 22:21
You've posted this thread on two different boards at once, Jood. Is it o.k. with you if I merge them both into this one to avoid confusion? (It certainly confused me!)

kiterunner
18-05-14, 22:22
This is the original thread about it (an old one, not the duplicate of this one):
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18480&highlight=gorange

Just off to reread it...

kiterunner
18-05-14, 22:28
So, post #4 on the old thread says where Thackum's Court was, if it is the right one.

The image you have posted up says he was buried on the 7th August 1776. Not sure where you are saying that it says the 10th?

The record on FamilySearch says he was buried at St Martin in the Fields, so it looks as though that is where the record comes from.

geniebug
18-05-14, 22:28
Sorry Kate, I knew I'd asked about the abbreviations before, but did not know when & where.

The reason I thought it was tenth - is that I misread the word (which I think now is teeth) lol

kiterunner
18-05-14, 22:33
FMP has the parish register image showing Abraham Gorange was buried at St Martin in the Fields 7th Aug 1776:
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fwsmtn%2f5108413%2f00526&parentid=gbprs%2fd%2f490109742%2f1&highlights=%22%22

The image that you have a copy of must be from another book (or another part of the same one) where they kept a record of what exactly they did / supplied for each funeral and how much they charged. I wonder whether Nt means it was a night burial?

kiterunner
18-05-14, 22:34
So is it o.k. with you if I merge this thread with the other one that you posted this evening, Jood?

kiterunner
18-05-14, 22:37
Aha! Click the link and it should load a PDF with some useful information. The page you have must be from the Sexton Books that are mentioned in the PDF.

http://www.geog.cam.ac.uk/people/davenport/davenport3.pdf

I don't know whether the public have access to those digitised copies of the sexton books that it mentions - I tried clicking on the link in there but it asked me to log in.

geniebug
18-05-14, 22:37
Yes fine with me Kate, sorry about the confusion. I knew I had asked previously about the abbreviations, but not where the record came from.

I don't have FMP, so couldn't read the article.

geniebug
18-05-14, 22:40
Have read the pdf you sent thanks Kate, very interesting. (Pity we couldn't get in to read it, but then I have the info now)

kiterunner
18-05-14, 22:45
I have merged the two threads from this evening.

geniebug
19-05-14, 11:14
Thanks Kate