PDA

View Full Version : Who is the other William Attenborough?

BlueSavannah
15-05-14, 09:04
I have a distant relative in my tree, William Attenborough born 1895 in Ripley, Derbyshire to Thomas Attenborough & Elizabeth Irons.

I have always thought that William died in 1918 during WW1 as there is a record of a death for William on Ancestry that gives the correct birth place and the right age to be him. His enlistment place was Sheffield which also would be correct as he was living in Mosborough near Sheffield.

However, last night I found a newspaper article by chance about about a William Attenborough aged 18 that was tragically killed in a colliery accident on the 13th July 1914. This article states that William lived with his parents at Duke Street Court, Mosborough, Derbyshire. This is exactly where William's parents were living at this time so this must be my William and not the man who died 4 years later in 1918.

But I cannot locate another William Attenborough born at the same time in Ripley that the man who died in France in 1918 is. Can anyone else locate another likely candidate?

Many thanks.

kiterunner
15-05-14, 12:09
If you mean the William Attenborough who died 20 Jul 1918, no 19811, ancestry shows his birthplace as Ripley, Yorks. But I can't see an age shown for him on ancestry or on CWGC.

BlueSavannah
15-05-14, 12:27
That's the one Kite. Apologies, I should have added the full date of death and his army number.

The brief bit of information that's shown on Ancestry all tied in with the William in my tree. William was born in Ripley and he would have enlisted in Sheffield. How odd, I had an age of 23 for him yesterday and now I can't remember where I saw that :confused: