PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for hangman ?

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 08:44
I have been playing hangman with Adam Underwoods will today and wondered if anyone would like a turn,its only one word.

It goes,

Imprimis, i resign my soul into ye hands of Almighty God my mircefull. In thus hoping through ye alone merits ................... of my lord Jesus Christ

I know Mercifull is spelt wrong, thats how it is on the will

Now the missing word looks to be 10 letters long

_ i _ _ i _ tion

I brought myself a magnifying glass and still can`t work out the word and was hopeing one of our resident geniouses could figure it out please.

Thank you for any help

Sylvia

maggie_4_7
23-11-09, 08:53
Contrition!

Can you put a scanned image up of the word?

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 09:13
Agh, it wont let me put it on the bucket

Sylvia

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 09:19
Sorry Maggie not Contrition, the second i is in the wrong place thank you

Sylvia

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 09:34
Thank you too Valley, there seems to be more than one i in it though.

Sylvia

kiterunner
23-11-09, 09:42
If you can just get the image of that word, it should be small enough for you to attach it as an image on this forum without having to use photobucket (click on the paperclip).

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 09:55
Thank you for the suggestion, but its a tagged image file format. wonder if i scan the will again, i can get a different format

Sylvia

kiterunner
23-11-09, 10:09
Can't you press the "Print Screen" button, then open Microsoft Paint and paste the image in, then edit the image to just get the word you want, and do it that way?

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 10:18
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/gert1945/h2.jpg

Have changed the format, hope this works

Whoohoo it did, the file was too large for the paper clip

The line on the letter 3 from the end comes down from the letter F on the line above

Sylvia

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 10:22
Thats what i did Kiterunner thank you

Sylvia

maggie_4_7
23-11-09, 11:14
Well I haven't got very far but I think the letter before T is N.

I've colour corrected it and done a negative.

Phoenix
23-11-09, 11:17
Without seeing the image, my first thought was "Mediation" and looking at the image now, that could be the word.

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 11:30
Could be too Pheonix thank you, have just looked at the will and it looks right,

In thus hoping through ye alone merits mediation of my lord Jesus Christ

Just looking to see if it sounds right

Sylvia

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 11:34
Well I haven't got very far but I think the letter before T is N.

I've colour corrected it and done a negative.

I also thought it could be an N Maggie and a negative approach didn`t seem any clearer to me. Thank you for looking.

Sylvia

Phoenix
23-11-09, 11:36
What period are we talking? I have just re-read what you said and to make sense, that should be two words, not one, of which the first would be "and"

I take it that the two heavy down strokes actually come from the line above?

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 11:46
we are talking 1743 and the first of the heavy down stokes is a T, its the same as other Ts in the will. the second one comes down from an F on the line above

Sylvia

maggie_4_7
23-11-09, 11:57
Absolution!

Bearing in mind that the word might not be spelt right it could be a few things.

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 12:19
It could be anything Maggie, being from that era, the only thing i am sure of is the last 4 letters

Sylvia

Phoenix
23-11-09, 12:36
Sylvia

can you put any more up? (or pm me the will?)

Gert in Oz
23-11-09, 12:46
PM on it way Pheonix, thank you

Sylvia

Olde Crone
23-11-09, 13:50
I always ignore the God bit at the beginning.

*Feels embarrassed now*

OC

maggie_4_7
23-11-09, 13:53

*Feels embarrassed now*

OC

:)

Don't worry I would too that is if I ever came across a will in my family - which I doubt because they didn't have pot to piddle in.

I'd be looking at the chattels and names :d

Don't worry OC if I make one I won't mention God at all.

Olde Crone
23-11-09, 15:30
Ooooh, Maggie, you've just reminded me!

A contact sent me a copy of an admon for mutual rellies on the Isle of Man in the late 1700s.

It was without doubt the saddest thing I have ever read. The law is/was on IOM that a surviving spouse got half of everything if there was no Will.

It listed EVERYTHING in the house and garden.

Half a broken wooden chair
Half a broken clay pot, large
Half a broken clay pot, small
Half a shovel handle

And so on and on. There wasn't a thing worth having. The whole lot was valued at about two shillings and I reckon that was optimistic.

It really brought it down to me how POOR these people were.

OC

Phoenix
23-11-09, 18:01

*Feels embarrassed now*

OC

I did a whole project & essay on the "God bit" once. It is supposed to be a guide to the religion of the testator, though if it's written by the priest you are not going to get much say in it.

This preamble is obviously protestant, but there wouldn't be many references to Mary and the angels in a will proved in a Cof E court!

Gert in Oz
24-11-09, 01:56
* I`m in Shock*

OC, of all people i thought you would read the God bit at the beginning, Your so thorough with finding stuff and making sure its right.

Sylvia

PS. this is my first will, thats possibly why i want to know what it says.