PDA

View Full Version : Thomas James Metherell Vanstone

Phoenix
10-05-14, 19:42
According to his obituary, 18 Feb 1938, he died in his 78th year.

In 1901 he is in Moreton Hampstead, aged 36, born Kilkhampton, with wife and family.

His birth is recorded March qtr 1861
he appears to have been at home with father George in 1861 (aged 2 months) and 1871 (aged 10)

Aged 15, he ran away to Canada, stayed there 3 years, then made his way down to Texas.

He joined Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show as Texas Jim, toured Europe and would appear to have stayed in England some time after they arrived here in 1887.

In theory, he should be in Texas in 1880 and in Hartland, Devon in 1890.

I'm blowed if I can spot him in either place. Can anyone?

kiterunner
10-05-14, 22:23
and in Hartland, Devon in 1890.

Do you mean in 1891, Phoenix?

garstonite
11-05-14, 05:47
There is also a Thomas James Vanstone born 1867 Bideford,Devon -are you sure the 1901 census in Morton Hampstead ,- Thomas James Vanstone isn`t this chap ??
according to Familysearch yours was born in Stratton,Cornwall in 1861 (on freebmd it says mar qtr )
so your Thomas would have been 40 in 1901...you say aged 36 born Kilkhampton ?...is that Cornwall or Devon ?...going to check ...
OK ....Cornwall - 6 miles from Bude...and Stratton is also very close to Bude ...so - you do have the right man ..
sorry Phoenix ...I was just making sure you weren`t getting the two mixed up ...lol....it is only early - not fully awake yet ...

Langley Vale Sue
11-05-14, 07:50
There is an unsourced tree on Ancestry showing his birth as 1865, his marriage to Anne Parsons Edwards on 2 Feb 1895 in Bideford, Devon and his death in St Joseph's Hospital, Toronto, Canada in 1938. Is this your man?

Phoenix
11-05-14, 08:05
Hi Guys.

My Vanstone married Annie Edwards (Mary Anne Parsons Edwards) and had children Harry and Dora. The family emigrated to Canada. Harry later met and wanted to marry one of my great aunts.

His death was reported in the Hartland Chronicle by Thomas Cory Burrows, who knew the Edwards family. That says he was born in Stratton, Cornwall. I don't have the transcription to hand, but think it also says he was 78. he seems to have shaved several years off his age in 1901 (possibly because his wife was younger) but sticks by the Cornwall birthplace.

Thanks for setting it out, Allan. The Hartland Chroncile always worked by neighbourhoods, rather than county boundaries, so I don't always notice when they slip from Devon to Cornwall and back again.

Yes, I do mean 1891, Kite. He drove the carrier's van and took Annie's mother "a large lady" to market at Bideford in it.

I have just found another obituary, which says that he drove for Mrs Thorne (which I knew) but also that she married another James Vanstone, relative of TJMV, who had also spent some time abroad!

Phoenix
11-05-14, 08:08
That's the one, Sue. And I suspect that that info come from me, ultimately! (Or rather, from the Hartland Chronicle!!!)

Phoenix
11-05-14, 08:10
(especially if it was Hosp, rather than Hospital!)

Langley Vale Sue
11-05-14, 08:10
I have found his death certificate. PM me your email address if you would like a copy.

His death certificate and gravestone photo have been added to the Find a Grave website.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=VA&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GScntry=10&GSsr=5441&GRid=13913501&

Phoenix
11-05-14, 08:22
Oh, and wouldn't you know it. This other James Vanstone is only a year older (March 1860 reg) born Woolsery (Woolfardisorthy)

Phoenix
11-05-14, 08:34
Just realised you have put the link to his death certificate online. Thank you, Sue!

Annie must have been the last of the siblings to die. She was a sister of my great granny, who died in 1944. The tombstone has her year of birth wrong: she was born in 1871 not 1872, but I imagine her birthday was correct. I bet my great aunts kept in touch right to the end. All the questions I should have asked forty years ago...

Langley Vale Sue
11-05-14, 08:40
Just realised you have put the link to his death certificate online. Thank you, Sue!

Annie must have been the last of the siblings to die. She was a sister of my great granny, who died in 1944. The tombstone has her year of birth wrong: she was born in 1871 not 1872, but I imagine her birthday was correct. I bet my great aunts kept in touch right to the end. All the questions I should have asked forty years ago...

Haven't we all got those questions Phoenix ;).

I'm still looking for Thomas in the census.

Phoenix
11-05-14, 08:49
Lol, Sue!

Annie's mother was a trifle too free with her favours. One member of the family was known as "the half brother" because of this. I found out very early that Charles Edwards was born before the marriage.

My mother, in the best traditions of interviewing, said to great aunt "And the half brother was called Charles, wasn't he?" I remember the puzzled look appearing on my great aunt's face as she reluctantly agreed.

It was years later, when I finally had access to parish registers, that I realised that there was an elder child, abandoned to his grandparents when his mother finally - pregnant with her third child - married. Had we mentioned William's name, my aunt might have smiled and been forthcoming!

Langley Vale Sue
11-05-14, 09:12
I've found him in 1901 in Moreton Hampstead and in 1911 & 1921 in Ontario as James or James T Vanstone.

Still no luck in 1880 or 1891 though.

Have to go out now, but will look again later.

kiterunner
11-05-14, 09:28
Did he have a "stage name", Phoenix?

Phoenix
11-05-14, 10:14
Texas Jim, Kite. And that isn't helping either. The FMP links just take me to a story by Bret Harte.

Buffalo Bill came to England in 1887. According to the newspaper article I found, James was working for the Thornes in 1890.

In 1891, the Thornes and Annie were both living in Fore Street, Hartland, Devon. But I can't see James yet.