PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 seperate children ?

Gert in Oz
10-05-14, 01:39
I sent for a copy of a baptism from family Search, Elizabeth Hill Oct 25 1812, parents Edward Hill and Sarah, directly under Elizabeth is Eliza same date and Parents, would anyone have an idea if this would be 2 different children or the same child with 2 versions of the same name.

marquette
10-05-14, 06:10
In our family we have both Eliza and Elizabeth, (and Anne and Hannah), so would not be surprised if it was 2 girls.

I think they were considered separate names. In 1812, I would guess Elizabeth would be shortened to Betty or Betsy not Lizzie.

Gert in Oz
10-05-14, 06:33
I do have both names in another family and if I hadden`t sent for this baptism, I would not have thought twice about it.

*wonders if they could be twins*

thank you Marquette

garstonite
10-05-14, 07:02
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NYFZ-L31 index number CO333-3
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NBG4-6QN index number C16621-2

they are 2 totally different Index numbers - as they are baptisms - could one have been born a year earlier - but was baptised together with the newborn ??
interesting thread - would be good to find out about the index numbers ...it is a little baffling

Gert in Oz
10-05-14, 11:48
Allan...Elizabeth was the first child to Edward Hill and second wife Sarah, who married Dec 1810, we believe his first wife Ann was buried Dec 1809, 2 children to the first marriage Edward 1806 and Sarah 1808

Have found 15 children for Edward and Sarah, all seem to be baptised on a regular basis at Burton upon Trent, there is possibly one more, the last one born Manchester, might have to send for her birth cert to see who she belongs to.

kiterunner
10-05-14, 12:10
The index numbers are for the indexing project that FamilySearch was doing, Allan, they don't specifically relate to the individual entries. One is "England_ODM" and the other is "England-Easy". (I am trying to make the E, the A and the S capitals but they keep getting changed back to lower case!) I'm sure we tried to find out what those meant before but failed.

But anyway, there are two entries for Eliza on FamilySearch and the other one does have the same batch number as Elizabeth's. Feeding the film numbers into Familysearch's Catalog, film no 1278995, which is on entries for both girls (the England-Easy ones), is the Parish Register, and the film number for Eliza's other entry is the Bishop's Transcripts.

Presumably the printout that you received is the actual image of the Parish Register, Sylvia? And has the two separate entries? In which case they are two different girls, either twins or sisters of different ages baptised at the same time. They wouldn't have to be just one year apart in age, could be any age.

Gert in Oz
10-05-14, 12:25
Presumably the printout that you received is the actual image of the Parish Register, Sylvia? And has the two separate entries? In which case they are two different girls, either twins or sisters of different ages baptised at the same time. They wouldn't have to be just one year apart in age, could be any age.

Thank you Kate

Yes, it is the actual image Kate and has the 2 separate entries, one directly under the other, Elizabeth then Eliza.

I just sent for Elizabeth`s baptism and when it arrived noticed Eliza there too.

Nell
11-05-14, 20:09
I have about 3 different Elizabeths who have sisters called Eliza.

Kit
13-05-14, 03:06
I've seen sisters Eliza and Elizabeth before now. I had assumed the name was important so they used variants in case one died.

Gert in Oz
13-05-14, 05:23
I do have an Elizabeth and Eliza in one of my Fletcher families, but born and baptised years apart, but with these 2 baptised on the same day, I became curious.

Eliza Fletcher had illegitimate twins in 1863 (boy and girl), Elizabeth was married but had no children, she adopted the boy and to this day his descendants carry a double barrelled name of both his mums and adopted parents.

Eliza married 2 years later and as well as having her daughter with her, she had 9 more children.

Phoenix
13-05-14, 07:44
Great Granny was Eliza Elizabeth. So presumably her parents thought of the two names as different.