PDA

View Full Version : Occupation train examiner

anne fraser
06-05-14, 20:20
I noticed your thread about New Zealand BMD's on ancestry so I went to look for a New Zealand family and I found one of Thomas Horne's descendents with an occupation of train examiner on both the electrol roll and his first world war volunteer attestion papers. I wonder if this would be ticket inspector or something completely different?

Shona
06-05-14, 21:28
Perhaps inspecting trains in a goods depot or maintenance yard?

kiterunner
06-05-14, 21:48
https://www.acacia-au.com/asco/6194-21.php

Uncle John
06-05-14, 22:25
The most visible type of train examiner used to be the wheel-tapper, who was seen at some main-line stations hitting the carriage wheel bearings with a hammer to detect defects.

anne fraser
07-05-14, 08:34
Thanks folks.

garstonite
08-05-14, 06:15
UJ - Garston had a huge shunting yard - and a few Wheeltappers ..I don`t know much about railway jobs -...the only other one I remember was a TCI Train Crew Inspector - whatever that was ?? any ideas ?

anne fraser
08-05-14, 14:18
This family seem to be into railways in a big way. I have now found a brother who was a linesman and another who was a platelayer. all New Zealand.

Uncle John
08-05-14, 18:43
UJ - Garston had a huge shunting yard - and a few Wheeltappers ..I don`t know much about railway jobs -...the only other one I remember was a TCI Train Crew Inspector - whatever that was ?? any ideas ?

A Train Crew Inspector is be a first-line manager in charge of the drivers and guards at a traincrew depot.

garstonite
10-05-14, 04:46
Thanks UJ....