PDA

View Full Version : William Henry Newey - Royal Navy

Margaret in Burton
29-04-14, 17:25
William, uncle Bill, was my mothers uncle.

He was born on 4th June 1891 in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, the youngest child of Jabez and Phillis Helena Newey nee Rust. My grandfather Edgar Newey was his brother.

William joined the Navy in 1909 and served until 1921.

His naval record is on FMP

Naval Record (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fadm188%2f876%2f0%2f0291&parentid=gbm%2fadm188%2f232105)

There is a family story told to me by his son that he had a habit of being late back from leave. Once this saved his life. The ship he was on was sunk losing all of the crew. My grandfather and grandmother (his brother and sister in law) assumed he was dead.

Grandad said to granny one day, "what's the matter you look like you've seen a ghost?"

She said " I have, your Bill just walked through the back door."

He'd missed the ship and it saved his life. I haven't checked this out with the ships he sailed on, should do really.

kiterunner
30-04-14, 12:28
Looking at his record, one of the ships he served on was the Defence, and there is an entry in WW1 Ships Lost at Sea for the Defence, off Jutland, 31 May 1916, 54 killed. But if the dates on the record match up properly with the ship names, he wasn't serving on the Defence at that time. I'm not sure whether that's how the record works, though, as I haven't looked at many Royal Navy records.

Margaret in Burton
30-04-14, 15:32
Looking at his record, one of the ships he served on was the Defence, and there is an entry in WW1 Ships Lost at Sea for the Defence, off Jutland, 31 May 1916, 54 killed. But if the dates on the record match up properly with the ship names, he wasn't serving on the Defence at that time. I'm not sure whether that's how the record works, though, as I haven't looked at many Royal Navy records.

Just one of those family stories I've never tried checking out.