PDA

View Full Version : FMP comes up trumps!

Phoenix
10-04-14, 19:01
Not sure whether this is a new entry, or improved search engine.

Idly searched the newspapers for Edmund Skillings in Norfolk. I got the usual batch of Edmund the policeman, being assaulted and Edmund his son assaulting other people. But also

Edmund Skillings being recommended for an award for 18 years service as an agricultural labourer by Abraham Leman of Edgefield. As Abraham was a farmer employing 17 labourers in 1851, I don't it's unreasonable to suppose that Abraham was his employer at that time? Not for the whole period as Abraham was in a different parish in 1841, but I bet Edmund worked for Hall Farm for many years :)

Phoenix
10-04-14, 21:41
Just been following Abraham's career. 9 employees & 3 boys in 61, 9 men in 1871. Unemployed in 1881 and a master gardener in 4 rooms in 1891.

Asa
12-04-14, 05:49
Phoenix, well done:-) You've also inspired me to give FMP another try:-)

Merry
12-04-14, 06:59
Phoenix, well done:-) You've also inspired me to give FMP another try:-)

That's what I thought, Asa, but first I tried to find the entry Phoenix found, but no luck with that. :o

Asa
12-04-14, 07:17
I know I've turned into a moany old bloke but I am so disheartened with FMP and Ancestry. The silver lining is that I'm spending a lot of time tidying up my trees, including despatching into the ether the too distant relations I gathered when I had nothing else to do :)

Margaret in Burton
12-04-14, 12:51
I've been switched over to the new FMP today. So far I've looked at a couple of census and a death. Haven't had a problem with it so far. Ancestry I find a nightmare.

Merry
12-04-14, 13:06
Marg, do you have Ancestry set to mimic the old search?

kiterunner
12-04-14, 13:15
That's funny, Marg, as FMP were saying on Facebook a day or two ago that everyone had already been switched over and the old site had been closed down.

Margaret in Burton
12-04-14, 14:46
Marg, do you have Ancestry set to mimic the old search?

Don't think so. How do I do that?

Margaret in Burton
12-04-14, 14:47
That's funny, Marg, as FMP were saying on Facebook a day or two ago that everyone had already been switched over and the old site had been closed down.

I used the old one yesterday and it had switched over this morning.

kiterunner
12-04-14, 14:55
I used the old one yesterday and it had switched over this morning.

Very interesting to hear that!

kiterunner
12-04-14, 14:57
Don't think so. How do I do that?

Go on "Site Preferences" in the dropdown menu from your user name, and then scroll right down to the bottom where it has Search Preferences, and tick the box for "Use category exact mode (simulates old search)".

Margaret in Burton
12-04-14, 15:37
Go on "Site Preferences" in the dropdown menu from your user name, and then scroll right down to the bottom where it has Search Preferences, and tick the box for "Use category exact mode (simulates old search)".

Thanks, done that. Now to try it out.

Edit, much better. Thanks.

Merry
12-04-14, 17:01
I knew if I went away Kate would know how to do it and I would be saved from saying I couldn't remember!!! :D:D:D

Margaret in Burton
13-04-14, 10:55
I knew if I went away Kate would know how to do it and I would be saved from saying I couldn't remember!!! :D:D:D

:D:D