PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Richard Horne

WendyPusey
04-04-14, 18:26
My Grandfather Arthur Richard Horne.

He was born on 17th October 1892 in Heston, Middlesex, the son of James Mathias Horne and Rosetta Julia Langley. He was baptised on 25th December 1892 at St. Leonards, Heston, Middlesex.

He was a market gardener when he married my Grandmother Adelaide Jacques on the 3rd of August 1913 at St. Leonards, Heston, Middlesex.

He enlisted in the Middlesex Regiment 1n 1915 (4377) but was discharged unfit. He then enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) 4th battalion (G/75506), and was sent to France, where he was killed in action on the 26th April 1918, leaving a widow and two children under 4.

No Military record found for the Royal Fusiliers.

He is buried at Sandpits War Cemetery at Bethune, France.

Arthur Richard Horne and Heston War Memorial

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m20/wendypusey/Horne2_zps82dacf62.jpg

Adelaide Horne, his widow, and two children left behind when he was killed in action, and the two children, (my Mother and her brother) visiting his War Grave in France for the first time in 60 years.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m20/wendypusey/Horne1_zpsab55f2c6.jpg

kiterunner
04-04-14, 19:16
Very moving pictures, Wendy.

There is a medal index card on ancestry (and TNA) for Private Arthur R Horne, Royal Fusiliers, number GS/75506, but it shows him as previously being in the East Surrey Regiment, number 204112. Medals listed are the Victory and British War medals.

WendyPusey
04-04-14, 20:28
I have his medal index card, but I have mislaid it somewhere! When I find it i will amend my records.

I think the East Surrey regiment is the one he was in when he was discharged unfit.

kiterunner
04-04-14, 22:07
No, his Middlesex Regiment records are in the "pension records" on ancestry and they do show that he served with them in the UK from 15 Mar 1915 to 10 Jul 1915 and was discharged "in consequence of his not being likely to become an efficient soldier". I think the cause is shown as "varicocele" but it is a bit scrawly as it was written by the Medical Officer. So I guess he must have joined the East Surrey Regiment when he had recovered enough and then transferred to the Royal Fusiliers.