PDA

View Full Version : Security Service File & The Freedom of Information Act

Muggins in Sussex
21-11-09, 17:47
There are Security Service files (under ref KV/2) at Kew for Henry William Wicks, which I have read. Within those files I found notes saying that documents within them had been removed to the file of X.

I would dearly love to read X's file, but had not persued this as I believed she was still alive.

I have now learnt that she has, sadly, recently died (although I don't think I can obtain proof of this as her death was in Germany).

I asked at Kew how I might be able to access her file, and they said that as they didn't have the file I should contact the Ministry of Defence.

This is where I come a bit unstuck :d - Who should I contact at the MOD? Should I ask the MOD to release the file to Kew, should I ask to view it under the Freedom of Information Act - or both? :confused:

I feel a bit embarrassed - rather like a vulture :o

peppie
21-11-09, 17:57
Think you/we all ned to start reading here Joan :d
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/FreedomOfInformation/

Muggins in Sussex
21-11-09, 18:00
Oooooh..thank you, Peppie:d

Uncle John
21-11-09, 20:14
The Freedom of Information Act is a remarkably powerful tool. The department receiving a request has very limited scope for refusing to supply information, though they can charge you if it takes a lot of digging to find it. If you Google the topic you should find a whole series of rules written by the Information Commissioner.

I've just applied to my local Council for some rather tame information (all about drains as it happens). They have to confirm what they've got and give you chapter and verse on what it will cost to supply it. Their response happened to include one crucial fact, which I was very pleased about.

Muggins in Sussex
22-11-09, 07:26
The Freedom of Information Act is a remarkably powerful tool. The department receiving a request has very limited scope for refusing to supply information, though they can charge you if it takes a lot of digging to find it. If you Google the topic you should find a whole series of rules written by the Information Commissioner.

I've just applied to my local Council for some rather tame information (all about drains as it happens). They have to confirm what they've got and give you chapter and verse on what it will cost to supply it. Their response happened to include one crucial fact, which I was very pleased about.

Thank you UJ - I will persue this. Fortunately the file at Kew gave the name of the file which I hope to see. otherwise I would have been stuck with a chioce of 2 possible forenames, and three possible surnames for the person :d

Margaret in Burton
22-11-09, 09:39
Good for you Joan.

Keep us informed how you go.

Muggins in Sussex
22-11-09, 09:47
I will, Margaret

Thank you :)

Kit
24-11-09, 23:39
How exciting. Good luck. Who knows what you might discover now?

Lynn the Forest Fan
25-11-09, 06:26
Good luck with it Joan, although it is sad tha X has passed away.

Muggins in Sussex
25-11-09, 06:34
Thanks Toni and Lynn :) - I'll keep you posted