PDA

View Full Version : Mary Collis (FFFFFMM)

marquette
07-03-14, 08:50
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Mary Collis

Date and place of birth
1723 in Sparsholt, Hampshire

Names of parents
Thomas Collis and Sarah Pool

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
18 Nov 1723, St Stephen, Sparsholt Hampshire

Mary is the sister of my TO5GG FFFFFFF, Thomas Collis, Henry and Mary Gilberts daughter Elizabeth married her cousin Thomas Collis in 1783

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
married Henry Gilbert, 17 Apr 1745, St Stephens Sparsholt

Occupation(s) - if any
not known

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

Sparsholt, Farley Chamberlayne and Hurst Berkshire, possibly also Winchester

Date, place and cause of death
Jul 1797 Hurst, Berkshire

Date and place of burial.
5 July 1797 St Nicholas, Hurst Berkshire

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
I think ancestry has a will for Mary, but I have not been able to look at it, to see if it is my Mary Gilbert - would someone be able to look and see who the executor was ?

Memorial inscription - if any
none known

Lindsay
09-03-14, 17:37
I've just skimmed it and it looks like your Mary Gilbert :)

She mentions grandchildren Mary Garland, Thomas Gilbert Garriand(?), Ann ffont, William ffont, Mary Gilbert Barnwell, Harriet ffont, Elizabeth Collis, Eleanor Collis, Mariana Gilbert Collis, Mary Collis, and daughter Elizabeth Collis.

The executor is her brother ,Thomas Collis.

marquette
09-03-14, 20:41
Thank you so much Lindsay.

It does look like her indeed.

Next time ancestry have a "free" weekend, or when I can afford to renew, it will be the first thing I look at.

The Collis names seem to clinch it - I don't have the Garland/Garriand or ffont and Barnwell names, so off to do some more research.

And I thought I had just about exhausted all the information I could find on this part of the tree !!

Di

marquette
09-03-14, 22:44
Oh dear Lindsay, what a web we have uncovered.

Mary Gilbert Barnwell is mentioned in the will of Richard Barnwell of Dorchester, Dorset (is thought to be the daughter of Gilbert Barnwell, but is probably the daughter of Richard)

Richard Barnwell is mentioned in the will of William Fone (son of William and Ann below), and so is Thomas Gilbert Garland.

I found that I already had the Fone (ffont) family - Ann Gilbert daughter of Henry and Mary married William Fone and now find that after he died, she married Richard Barnwell. Their daughter Ann Fone married Richard Drew of Hurst, and their daughter Harriet married Richard Collis, William Fone married Frances Trim.

William Fone and Richard Barnwell were both glaziers.

Mary Gilbert married John Garland in Dorset and Thomas Gilbert Garland was their son.

Now I just have to find the baptisms and burials to add to the marriages etc. Lots of these events took place in Dorchester, rather than Sparsholt or Hurst, so I had not really been looking in the right county till now.

Di

Lindsay
10-03-14, 18:21
It sounds like you'll have plenty to keep you busy :)

I love it when one small piece of information opens up whole new areas of research!